Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Swaging wire rope

Any pointers? I’m going to make a lifting harness for a 13’ whaler tomorrow with a swage tool from west marine that uses two bolts to crimp. Is it pretty straightforward or is it easy to damage the rope/cable?

Re: Swaging wire rope

Make sure you have the right sized ferrules for the swagging tool. I've been making my own for several years with no issues. I need to remake four I use every year as I use them to restrain batteries for my inverter banks. They are wet cells so fumes tend to destroy the cables over time...

They are pretty easy to make. I have used rope to make a test lifting bridle. I use this test bridle to get my CG / leg lengths correct. Then I make an actual lifting bridle out of spectra. It has the same strength as the wire but is super flexible, lightweight and easy to stow. The eye splices are easy with you tube videos. Or you can use the cable and do the crimps right in the store. It is super fast and you make flawless crimps.
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

I ground the blades on an old set of bolt cutters to make a very effective crimping tool.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

I just go to West Marine and use their tool. Comes out perfect every time.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    I just go to West Marine and use their tool. Comes out perfect every time.
    That's why i do when a need a new lifting harness.

I have used the cripping bar with the bolts for some stays on my sailboat it works fine. Takes a little longer but the crimps are secure

By the way for lifting harnesses i no longer use the welded rings to attach the cables together as i had one fail. Luckily the tender was just 4' off the water and there was no damage. Instead I use an oversized shackle
    Last edited by Pascal; 12-09-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    That's why i do when a need a new lifting harness.

I have used the cripping bar with the bolts for some stays on my sailboat it works fine. Takes a little longer but the crimps are secure

By the way for lifting harnesses i no longer use the welded rings to attach the cables together as i had one fail. Luckily the tender was just 4' off the water and there was no damage. Instead I use an oversized shackle
    How goes the motor replacement? Need to see the latest.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

It's pretty simple with the right tool and proper ferrules. For marine cable I prefer stainless ferrules which can be a bit more difficult crimp but work out well and very resistant to corrosion. I've never been a big fan of the bolt-on ferrules. Stay away from aluminum as it is soft and corrodes quickly. copper works ok for marine as well.

What size rope are you using? I have some 1/8" stainless ferrule on the boat along with the crimping tool you can use.

I would go with the vinyl coated wire rope as its less prone to damaging surfaces and hands.

Ok thanks for all the advice. Got the job done today using 1/4” cable and the West Marine hand swaging tool they list at $59. It works by clamping two bars together with grade 8 bolts. I have to say I’m impressed with how professional the swages came out with it. The West Marine table mounted tool only goes up to 3/16 cable so that wasn’t an option. Pascal, thanks for the note on the welded ring. I had read that in a past thread while researching this and I took your advice and used a massive shackle that was used on one of those smittybilt Jeep bumpers from toys gone by. I think it’s rated at 12,000lbs. Sorry for the sideways pics.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    Ok thanks for all the advice. Got the job done today using 1/4” cable and the West Marine hand swaging tool they list at $59. It works by clamping two bars together with grade 8 bolts. I have to say I’m impressed with how professional the swages came out with it. The West Marine table mounted tool only goes up to 3/16 cable so that wasn’t an option. Pascal, thanks for the note on the welded ring. I had read that in a past thread while researching this and I took your advice and used a massive shackle that was used on one of those smittybilt Jeep bumpers from toys gone by. I think it’s rated at 12,000lbs. Sorry for the sideways pics.
    No pictures of the finished connection and tool? Glad I turned out well. Beautiful boat!

I LOVE the bait tank on the skiff!