Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 1979 43' double cabin

If you are serious about a wood boat in SD, be sure to look at the 57 Chris in Chula Vista. It has had a major refit and is constantly maintained be a wealthy owner. I think it is listed with Bayport Yachts. Has been on the market for a long time so a low offer might be possible. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Sorry, just realized there are 2 for sale in SD, the one I know is Anytime, the more expensive one.
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Having owned two wooden boats, a Matthews and an Egg Harbor, I wouldn't have another. There is enough work on any boat without taking on that sort of thankless heartache. It is for the very rich only.

There is a 48’ Chris Craft Connie in Northern California with twin Desiel. This boat is pristine. Check it out on Craigslist. I think it’s a 1966 or 67. And I’m not kidding it is in fabulous condition.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    A wood boat is a lifestyle. If you like having glue and paint on your hands 24/7 go for it. It is extremely rewarding and has a very organic quality to it. (Not in the nutritional sense). Working with wood is a lot of fun. It is an extremely versatile and creative material. But, it becomes "the journey". It also requires quite a bit of skill and a whole new set of tools. (Literally and figuratively). People that own and work on wood boats are a whole 'nother breed.

If that sounds like a PITA do NOT get a wood boat. Finding (and paying) people that can PROPERLY do all this for you is even more of a headache than doing it for a plastic boat.

Occasionally I spend time drooling over Trumpys and all that jazz. Then the urge goes away and I breathe deeply and return to this forum.
    Thanks for that perspective. Ive never worked with wood boats, (old houses; yes) but I do like the idea glue and paint on my hands. I think what I really want to buy is a "journey"... Im looking for a creative project to last me the rest of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Sorry, just realized there are 2 for sale in SD, the one I know is Anytime, the more expensive one.
    The cheaper one (listed at $140k) is now under contract, Ive been told its gonna sell at $115000. There are two in the area that sold recently, one at $35000 and the other was listed at $50,000, when it dropped off yachtworld. ..

I looked at two similar big wood boats in San Francisco the day before thanksgiving, a Chris Craft and a Stephens, priced at $115000 and $139000. The brokers suggested that a lesser offer would probably be successful

The market for these things seems to be between $50000 and $150000, depending on condition..

You can't afford the time to maintain one of the larger wooden vessels if you plan to ever use it. Id dont care if you retired at 12 time is time.

There was a 36 Chris locally that was beautifully kept at about $60k every other year until the owner just us and sold her. They had another boat that they cruised while the chris was cared for.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A good friend and his father had a beautiful wooden Egg next to me in Va. Him and his father attempted to move the boat to Hatteras for a long weekend, and she broke up in a storm approaching Hatteras. Russ was never found, and his father washed up a week later. Beautiful boats, but age really is not a friend of a wooden boat. They kept really good care of her, and maintenance was a priority, but something happened.

Growing up, all we had were Owens, Mathews and Chris Crafts. All wood, too much work. I love my all glass Hatt.

Have a great week,
    Tim

Hey Ron,

You should talk to Leland at Sun Harbor Marina if you want a wood boat. He built his 65 foot wood schooner by hand over 29 years. He is an expert at wood boats although he can be a bit cranky.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...r24-story.html

Kathy can tell you where to find him on B dock
    Looking for a 80 plus foot yacht
    Hatteras of Cheoy Lee

Quote Originally Posted by ronparise View Post
    Thanks for that perspective. Ive never worked with wood boats, (old houses; yes) but I do like the idea glue and paint on my hands. I think what I really want to buy is a "journey"... Im looking for a creative project to last me the rest of my life.
    It would definitely keep you entertained. And it's not unlike an old house, except the continuous assault by mother nature is much more relentless......
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay