A good friend and his father had a beautiful wooden Egg next to me in Va. Him and his father attempted to move the boat to Hatteras for a long weekend, and she broke up in a storm approaching Hatteras. Russ was never found, and his father washed up a week later. Beautiful boats, but age really is not a friend of a wooden boat. They kept really good care of her, and maintenance was a priority, but something happened.

Growing up, all we had were Owens, Mathews and Chris Crafts. All wood, too much work. I love my all glass Hatt.

Have a great week,
Tim

Two men I knew attempted to bring an 85' Trumpy from Long Island to Maryland. I don't think they were more than an hour out of port in Eastern LI when they found water flooding the engine room. Fortunately they had an inflatable and radios. Also a camera that was waterproof enough to shoot photos as they got into their wetsuits and into their dinghy. She went down in about ten or fifteen minutes- the CG or marine police rescued them.

What I like about a FRP hull is that once it's cured, it is no longer an assemblage of parts. A wooden hull of the kind we are talking about is only as good as the weakest plank and screws in it. In the case of the Trumpy, a plank let go at the stem, I think. They are lucky to be alive. I would not have another wooden boat.

I should mention that a modern Rybovich or similar boat is cold-molded, and that is a different thing.But a plank on frame boat? No way.