Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Brunswick to sell Sea Ray

http://www.boattest.com/view-news/56...mpany-for-sale

I never would've seen this coming. Sea Ray being sold. Probably to Chinese LOL
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Brunswick to sell Sea Ray

ouch. Thats going to suck here.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wait and see what happens.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

So wait,... Brunswick paid $75 million more for Bayliner than they did for Sea Ray?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Price will go up.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    ouch. Thats going to suck here.
    tremendous hit.
    You can bet your bottom dollar its loosing big money. Not only did Brunswick purchase sea Ray but a lot of bass boat
    companies. To exclusive hang those merks on but i think Yamaha is eating their lunch especially in the salt water market.
    I wonder if when they purchased sea ray the company was using or building a lot of inboard out boards with the merk cruiser
    Not so many now. The bigger boats are using diesel i expect not only boat sells are down but OMC is taking a hit on
    profits. I did not look at the stock gut i would bet its slowly sinking along with the boats. Might be a good time to short it...

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/bc
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 12-06-2017 at 09:13 PM.

We have 3 or 4 of their facilities in the area and I'm sure whoever buys it will combine their resources and screw us here locally.

All that R&D they do here and they couldnt figure out how to make a boat at a profit.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

It seems that just about all boat builders are having problems. Been going on for quite a few years and
    I believe the business in general will shrink much more before it recovers somewhat. IMO there are
    several important factors at work here... One is that the cost of new boats and boating in general has
    become too expensive for the average family. While purchasing a boat may be within someone's
    budget, all the other costs of ownership such as maintenance, dockage, insurance etc start adding up
    and get to the point that the folks that would have gotten into boating a couple of decades ago simply
    figured that there are other less expensive family activities available. Another major factor is that the
    boats built during the 60's through today are almost all fiberglass. Therein lies another problem as they
    last much longer than the wood boats of years ago. Lots of DIYers buy old boats and fix them up whereas
    years ago a boat 10 or 15 years old probably had so much wood rot that it wasn't worth fixing. Of
    course the fact that the average working stiff has not had salary increases sufficient to keep up with rising
    prices and discretionary spending is impossible. Most of us Hatteras owners probably would not buy a
    new model of our existing boats because of the cost, but the old one's are solid enough to rebuild
    into like new (or whatever level) condition for a lot less than new, which is probably why Hatteras
    won't build our size boats today.

Walt

The center console market is insane now, though....insane as in way overpriced. Freeman has like an 18month backlog and people sell their slots!

Early 2000's in the Sam's club there was a 19foot bayliner for $9,999 including trailer. That boat is probably 20-30k now???
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    http://www.boattest.com/view-news/56...mpany-for-sale

I never would've seen this coming. Sea Ray being sold. Probably to Chinese LOL
    Goes to show how weak the economy has been since the turn of the century. Amazing that there are 50% fewer boats sold in the US than in the year 2000. What industry has seen such a steep decline in sales other than say, asbestos?