Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Brunswick to sell Sea Ray

I agree with a lot of the comments made here. In the 70’s I worked for Columbia Yachts(please do not judge me). We sold a 43 footer for $39,900. The ratio of that price to income was way lower than any 43 footer to today’s income. As bad as the quality of that boat was, it allowed a lot of people to participate in boating, and surprisingly there are still a lot of those boats still going strong today. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

My 30,000 foot view on bigger boat manufacturing is that the big corporations and hedge funds of today just are not good at it. Think we would all agree that Viking is the premier American non custom boat manufacturer (50 units plus) of today and it's because it's a private business run by a hands on family. They can make decisions on the spot with out having to reach out to executives at some remote ivory tower for permission.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    My 30,000 foot view on bigger boat manufacturing is that the big corporations and hedge funds of today just are not good at it.............. They can make decisions on the spot with out having to reach out to executives at some remote ivory tower for permission.
    I have said, and will say until I die: a small businessman that runs and grows a business has more brain power, strategic vision, agility, and acumen than a big company CEO or PE manager will ever have. The small man does not have access to capital, he doesn't have shareholders he can screw over and still get his golden parachute. He doesn't have a huge corporate back-office to do all his busy work. etc etc.

This opinion is confirmed time and time again when a profitable business that has been around for 50+ years (say a boat maker, RV, or other manufacturer) is acquired by a hedge fund or PE firm and goes bankrupt within 2-5 years. Many times the PE guys just want to load the new company up with debt, suck out commissions, and don't care. It's sad for the employees.

I wouldn't call Sea Ray a "small business", but look at the history of it. From what I've read, created and owned by one man until selling to Brunswick in the 80's.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I read that Sea Ray had been losing money for several years, and sales projections for the coming year were dismal at best.

They were very successful with brand loyalty which allowed a new owner to purchase a 16' runabout and move up to whatever his/her billfold would allow. It was a big club, and many people wanted to be a part of it.

I've owned several and am still a fan of the older boats, but this new stuff is just plain fugly and terribly expensive. My guess is, by the time the faithful followers lost their asses on their third jump in size, they were over it. Sheep can only be sheared so many times.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    My 30,000 foot view on bigger boat manufacturing is that the big corporations and hedge funds of today just are not good at it. Think we would all agree that Viking is the premier American non custom boat manufacturer (50 units plus) of today and it's because it's a private business run by a hands on family. They can make decisions on the spot with out having to reach out to executives at some remote ivory tower for permission.
    This is so true. I have read where the Healy's are really connected to their employees, meeting and greeting whenever they can.But the best description I have heard is how they will address an problem soling issue, a new product or a customer issue without giving a finance person a seat at the table. They will make a decision based on what is right for the company and then deal with the cost after they have determined the resolution.Try that in bean counter driven corporate America where CFO's have too much control solely based on their profit/loss spreadsheets. Kills the necessary entrepreneurial spirit from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacblue View Post
    Try that in bean counter driven corporate America where CFO's have too much control solely based on their profit/loss spreadsheets. Kills the necessary entrepreneurial spirit from the get go.
    Well, GE tried it and failed horribly. Amazing the new CEO even admits they lost their way: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...power-business
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

There is one exception to all of this and that was Harley. They were bought out by AMF and somehow it went private again.
    It's a sure bet that won't happen here and I completely agree with the notion the industry has priced itself out of existence.
    For example, it was running us 17K a year to keep Freedom parked at the dock! Going to the Bahamas increased that substantially but that's a given. The basic costs of ownership let alone financing, has crushed boating.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    There is one exception to all of this and that was Harley. They were bought out by AMF and somehow it went private again.
    It's a sure bet that won't happen here and I completely agree with the notion the industry has priced itself out of existence.
    For example, it was running us 17K a year to keep Freedom parked at the dock! Going to the Bahamas increased that substantially but that's a given. The basic costs of ownership let alone financing, has crushed boating.
    Agree completely, cost of ownership will affect sales and run many out of boating. We have paused to rethink just how much boat to buy. Inventory is low for certain sizes and years. Have seen price reductions lately on several over priced boats. Many boats listed have a lot of deferred maintenance and when you run the numbers at current cost it adds up fast and often ko's the deal.