Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Victron centaur chargers

I have a single 12v 8d battery to supply a 12v breaker that powers bridge electronics, a cockpit stereo, and cockpit gunnel disco lights. I am unhappy with the old style sentry charger that manages this battery and my generator starting batteries because as it surges the lights dim a bit. I think it’s probably not great for my electronics either. I see several victron centaur chargers available reasonably and would like to hear some thoughts on them. Does anyone have experience and know if they are variable or a cycling type charger like the sentry? Alternatively, are there better options for chargers in the 30-40amp range that can monitor three banks? Thanks.

Re: Victron centaur chargers

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    I have a single 12v 8d battery to supply a 12v breaker that powers bridge electronics, a cockpit stereo, and cockpit gunnel disco lights. I am unhappy with the old style sentry charger that manages this battery and my generator starting batteries because as it surges the lights dim a bit. I think it’s probably not great for my electronics either. I see several victron centaur chargers available reasonably and would like to hear some thoughts on them. Does anyone have experience and know if they are variable or a cycling type charger like the sentry? Alternatively, are there better options for chargers in the 30-40amp range that can monitor three banks? Thanks.
    In my opinion they are as dumb as a brick. No temperature sensing feature, move on from that. Get something a little smarter. I had one BOIL my agm's 2 years ago - a Centaur 100amp 24volt unit on an eight 12v 120ah bank in series/parallel.

I like Victron gear - it's great. I changed to the multiplus inverter charger with temp sensor and it's great. The Victron Phoenix (charger only) is good (with temp sensor).

The centaur is older and not as smart technology. I've not had one boil out batteries but I'd rather use a skylla ip44 for many reasons.

The victron line has centaur for the price sensitive customers. Not to say they don't work but the newer technologies in the skylla blow it away.

If you want to pm me I can help. Im a victron distributor ( yes distributor not just dealer) and know the product.

Other members have recently purchased skylla chargers from me and can tell you how well they work.

FYI the charger will take any a.c. voltage from 90 to 240 volt A.C.. 50 or 60 Hz.

Look at the optional control panel and standard nmea2000 interface too
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

90 volts? Must have been designed for Bahamian use
    1988 Canoe Cove 53 "Lilo Honu"
    1984 Outrage Whaler 22 "Conchyjodyoos"
    Previously owned Hatt 36c

Quote Originally Posted by Mike36c View Post
    90 volts? Must have been designed for Bahamian use
    Thats Funny LOL

Too bad it can be true

Oh and What Scott Said !
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    As of three years ago. The Sentrys used to be quite serviceable, I am not sure if that is still true. Most certified Cruiseair techs also service them. You might call around and see. I was down on my Sentry charger as well, until I had a good tech check it out. Did a great job after that. If I had to buy a new charger, I'd rather go with an American made brand like NewMar myself.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

The sentry is old, and after some research it appears that it’s normal for them to cycle as soon as a draw is put on the battery. This particular charger only services the group 31 generator batteries which never really need a charge and one 8d that was added to supply bridge electronics and I believe stabilizers. The other sentry charger in the boat was replaced with a new sentry that is variable but $$$$. I don’t see temp sensors on it either. Where do temp sensors affix? External to the plastic battery case?

PM sent
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.