Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Chine extensions?

I saw these chine extensions on Bertram at the yard today, do they really provide extra lift?
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Chine extensions?

Here's some on a 41c I saw in a yard. Can't comment on if they work or not.

FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I was told from Sam's think it was Steve I was talking to and he said some times yes and sometimes No.

I did the smart rails which is that first picture and it did nothing for lift or speed. After I repower I cut them off I found in a beam sea they would grab and make the boat a little squirrelly.
    I did a bottom job, lift rails, added block to tabs to push bow down and lighten the boat some it was still Slow change the horse power to 33% more and that worked
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I’ve seen those done on Bayliner‘s. It helps with the rolling motion more than lift.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Some years ago trawlers with soft chines were getting these to reduce roll at anchor.

Bobk

One of my friends installed them on his 1968 38C and he said that the only benefit he had was less
    spray.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I was told from Sam's think it was Steve I was talking to and he said some times yes and sometimes No.

I did the smart rails which is that first picture and it did nothing for lift or speed. After I repower I cut them off I found in a beam sea they would grab and make the boat a little squirrelly.
    I did a bottom job, lift rails, added block to tabs to push bow down and lighten the boat some it was still Slow change the horse power to 33% more and that worked
    I really like the idea of extending the arc of the tabs. I'm running full down now for the best speed other than a following condition.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

As stated, they are usually used for stability at rest. A hard chined boat is inherently more stable but less fuel efficient. The Bayliner motoryachts (4588, 4788) use foam filled chine extensions to convert them to hard chine and also add buoyancy to the stern as they are underpowered and need help getting the bow down.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanjake View Post
    also add buoyancy to the stern as they are underpowered and need help getting the bow down.
    Like most of the older Hatteras motoryachts; underpowered andneed help getting the bow down.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Bennett now makes cylinders with 3 1/2" travel rams. Standard has always been 2 1/2". You need to retrofit by making your own starboard adapter. Can't wait to install them over the winter.
    Capt. TJ Karbowski
    Rock & Roll Charters
    Clinton, CT
    www.rockandrollcharters.com