Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: New Dock Lines, Undersized Eye Splice

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I can never find off the shelf lines with big enough eyes. I custom order them online. That way you can get the length you want and the eye size you need.

I also have the whipping done in different colors so I know the length just by looking at the whipping.
    Good idea Sky. Will use my good lines for a gauge.

I used to used colors at the whipping, but they would lost in the deck box. Now I buy red for spring lines and blue for bow/stern. Used to buy black, but a little too severe.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I can never find off the shelf lines with big enough eyes. I custom order them online. That way you can get the length you want and the eye size you need.

I also have the whipping done in different colors so I know the length just by looking at the whipping.
    Love the colored whip idea. I’ll mark the inside storage box with the colors so the admiral gets the right line length every time. Thanks Sky.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Love the colored whip idea. I’ll mark the inside storage box with the colors so the admiral gets the right line length every time. Thanks Sky.
    True. I get complaints from time to time- "So just what do the colors mean"? A legend in the box would help.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    True. I get complaints from time to time- "So just what do the colors mean"? A legend in the box would help.
    I would use the colors for length. White 15’, blue 25’ etc.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I am on a floating dock so I whipped each line where it attaches on the cleat in case I take my lines with me. When I return to the slip, I just throw them on at each mark.

This always worked well for my on my halyard lines where each mark was for a different reefing point on the sails.

Jon
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia