Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Another battery bank thread

Hey Krush, no need to have one for each engine, only need one unit to start both engines one after the other. The test parameters for the Maxwell units were to start a 600 horsepower diesel 3 times at -40 degrees without a recharge. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

The OP is trying to start 12v71's not 8v71's. These take more amps to roll over. The port bank on a 60C is the house bank and also starts the port engine. The stbd bank starts the stbd engine.

Golf cart batteries are not good in this application. A good friend of mine that I cruise with has a 1978 60C. He has Rolls batteries on both banks. He has an Outback 3232 inverter. The Rolls lasted 10 years before replacement; well worth the extra cost and no worries about melted battery posts.

I really can't believe how cheap some owners are. The battery is the life line of the boat. We spend more on fuel in a year than a good set of batteries that will last ten years.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    The OP is trying to start 12v71's not 8v71's. These take more amps to roll over. The port bank on a 60C is the house bank and also starts the port engine. The stbd bank starts the stbd engine.

Golf cart batteries are not good in this application. A good friend of mine that I cruise with has a 1978 60C. He has Rolls batteries on both banks. He has an Outback 3232 inverter. The Rolls lasted 10 years before replacement; well worth the extra cost and no worries about melted battery posts.

I really can't believe how cheap some owners are. The battery is the life line of the boat. We spend more on fuel in a year than a good set of batteries that will last ten years.

Correction.

Some owners dont run much fuel through the engines. They run at idle for 3 miles and spend a weekend in the hook and dont burn 100 gallons a year. Except maybe on the genny If they use it.i had a friend with a sailboat who used less than 20 gallons a year and used his boat 30 or more times in that year. He didn't have a genny either.

There's no way to change the physics of the battery but some insist on trying. If I'm fishing the bottom and drifting I'll start the engines more times in a day than some owners do in a year. Batteries need to be 100% right and reliable. The parallel switch is in case of a failure.

If you can't afford to do it right you probably don't need to own the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

My starboard bank is bad somewhere. I am getting the right voltage at rest and hydrometer after 24 hr only shows one questionable cell. All I get is a bump on the starter. When I use the parallel it starts right up. I think it may be a cable somewhere but the battery ends look fine. Anyway I am curious if the 8v195s would work for me on the starboard engine. The generator was replaced and has its own 12 volt cranking battery. The only thing this bank is used for is to crank the starboard engine. Having difficulty finding somewhere or how to load test an 8 volt battery also. Suggestions appreciated

My plus tester does 6 and 12 volt. I could not find one to test 8 volt batteries under $500 when I bought it. I use the hydrometer method for 8 volt batteries.

Charge them. Disconnect them for 24 hours and check all the cells.

I believe the 819 to be a better battery than the 8v195. As Sky suggested the rolls are great and last.

I've not seen too many new 8 volt systems (ok none to be exact) and in most repowers the voltage is now 12 or 24 volts.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Pascal, you have 12v starters and 24vdc electrics?

There was a significant price difference to get the Cummins in 24v so they re 12v. The house is now 24v. I will need to add a 24v alternator to one of the mains as a back up
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

One of the reason I was considering golf cart battery’s is that you can get them in sealed glass matt. But if they won’t do the job desired then it’s not even an option. Price is not the concern
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

Golf carts are rated at reserve power Starting battery's are CCA cold cranking amps. There is a reason for that and it because they are designed for the application.

My golf carts are 11 years old now I may have to do them this spring my starting bank is a 4D I get 8-9 years out of them. One for each motor and golf carts are house bank 6 of them.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Briankinley2004 View Post
    My starboard bank is bad somewhere. I am getting the right voltage at rest and hydrometer after 24 hr only shows one questionable cell. All I get is a bump on the starter. When I use the parallel it starts right up. I think it may be a cable somewhere but the battery ends look fine. Anyway I am curious if the 8v195s would work for me on the starboard engine. The generator was replaced and has its own 12 volt cranking battery. The only thing this bank is used for is to crank the starboard engine. Having difficulty finding somewhere or how to load test an 8 volt battery also. Suggestions appreciated
    Are your connection cables between the batteries of proper size? If you have 4/0 cables, you need 4/0 throughout the entire system including the cables connecting the batteries to each other.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI