Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Re: Winterizing

They don’t give specifics but it clearly states on the label “not for use in engines”
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    They don’t give specifics but it clearly states on the label “not for use in engines”
    Thanks Jack....

I think the confusion is that not every source of "Pink" offers both grades.... West Marine does and it
    clearly says what it is recommended for on the labels. In any case do NOT use either grade of "Pink" in
    your fresh water side. As I stated earlier, I use Detroit Diesel Power Cool in the fresh water side of my
    6-92's. Being in NJ I use a 50/50 mix with distilled water. It's really a no brainer.

Walt

I never use anything other than Powercool for the freshwater side. Never top them off with anything other than the Powercool. I use the premix 50/50
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    So Dan, are you saying that the raw water drains out of the engines when you shut down? Do you need
    to cause a "venting" action by removing a zinc or perhaps just removing the pressure cap off the heat
    exchanger? If that's the case then if I store my boat in the water I may not need to bother with the
    pink at all. What am I missing.

BTW, in my previous posts I mention 2 different "pinks". Both are for the raw water and or potable water
    system. Neither are for the fresh water side. For that I keep DD Power Cool in it.

Walt

Walt

The pressure cap is fresh water side the raw water vents it self from both side intake and exhaust. I am out of the water so that can be different but yes the system pretty much empty's it self by 95% or more.
    As for seals I suck it through two wash down pumps two A.C units with separate pumps a water pump and toilet all have seals that are never any special material so what seals would be a problem in a raw water side?
    I only have heat exchanger end caps and o-rings on raw water pump and aftercoolers.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I think this is were people get confuse I am not putting it into my engines I am putting it through a heat exchanger and fiberglass mufflers. Pretty much same system as a A.C unit.

I always have a little left over in a jug or two and have left it on the boat or in a shed and never even seen it get slushy never mind frozen.
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 12-05-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    Walt

The pressure cap is fresh water side the raw water vents it self from both side intake and exhaust. I am out of the water so that can be different but yes the system pretty much empty's it self by 95% or more.
    As for seals I suck it through two wash down pumps two A.C units with separate pumps a water pump and toilet all have seals that are never any special material so what seals would be a problem in a raw water side?
    I only have heat exchanger end caps and o-rings on raw water pump and aftercoolers.
    Senior moment... Of course the pressure cap has nothing to do with the raw water system.

Actually the best way to winterize with no chemicals or work involved is simply take the boat to Florida
    for the winter. I did it for many years and I can attest that it really works.

Walt

My point was that "Not for use in engines" means not for use as coolant. I doubt that they mean not to use for winterizing. Walt appears to be stating that it is not for use in engines in any way shape or form. I think we are over-reading the intent of the label.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    Senior moment... Of course the pressure cap has nothing to do with the raw water system.

Actually the best way to winterize with no chemicals or work involved is simply take the boat to Florida
    for the winter. I did it for many years and I can attest that it really works.

Walt
    😎

Sun and fun. Now your getting it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    My point was that "Not for use in engines" means not for use as coolant. I doubt that they mean not to use for winterizing. Walt appears to be stating that it is not for use in engines in any way shape or form. I think we are over-reading the intent of the label.
    i agree it probably is ok for engines I just don’t like the fact that it will freeze solid around 10-15. This is not the same as the traditional pink stuff that has been around for a long time. That stuff will slush up around 10-15 but not freeze solid. That does state on the label that it’s for use in engines and drinking water systems. The cheap stuff clearly states not for use in engines. Same manufacture different specified use. I’m not using it as if there ever was an issue with freezing, I’d question if my insurer would cover me.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I think this is were people get confuse I am not putting it into my engines I am putting it through a heat exchanger and fiberglass mufflers. Pretty much same system as a A.C unit.

I always have a little left over in a jug or two and have left it on the boat or in a shed and never even seen it get slushy never mind frozen.
    we probably could get away with out using antifreeze but no way of knowing if there are pockets of water that haven’t drained. I have vertical lift mufflers and underwater exhaust, and both vertical and horizontal surge tubes. I run 15 gls through each engines and 3 for each generator. Cheap insurance and peace of mind through the winter. As for the antifreeze slushing up or freezing, keep in mind you need kinetic energy for it to freeze. Shake the jug on a cold day and see what happens.
    Jack Sardina