Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Re: Winterizing

It certainly works cheap!
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Walt, are you sure you're not misreading "Not suitable for engine use"?

Engine Use meaning not for use as coolant as opposed to raw water side antifreeze. Seawater certainly has no corrosion inhibitors in it, so why would we care if the antifreeze does?

Derek nailed it again

Raw water verse in engines is a little different and its more than a dollar difference I never seen the stuff for engines under 3.50 @ gal I pay $2.50 @ gal or less for the pink -50
    Last edited by 34Hatt; 12-01-2017 at 09:25 PM.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Engine Use meaning not for use as coolant as opposed to raw water side antifreeze. Seawater certainly has no corrosion inhibitors in it, so why would we care if the antifreeze does?
    Well I sometime buy my "Pink stuff" at West Marine (sorry guys) and I know I can usually beat the price
    but the stuff is so cheap that it's not worth going out of my way for it. They sell both and I too was
    curious as to why the cheaper pink was not suitable and it led me to the conclusion about the inhibitors
    being the only difference. If you check out with the mfg they claim that prolonged presence in the raw
    water cooling system can cause issues. Are they correct? or is it just a way to get a couple of extra
    bucks out of an unsuspecting poor boat owner? Who knows but I prefer to err on the side of caution,
    especially when the well being of my engines are at stake. I agree that raw sea water doesn't contain
    any corrosion inhibitors either....but this subject is only one of the many reasons that I value this forum.

Walt

Walt is correct. There are different pink antifreeze. The cheap stuff is alcohol based and while it does offer the same bust protection, it will freeze solid but not expand at around 20. There also are no rust inhibitors but o don’t think that’s much of an issue for a short layup period. The engine stuff is glycol based and will slush up but not freeze and does have rust inhibitors. I’ve been told the alcohol stuff isn’t great for seals but if it’s fine in the fresh water system it should be fine in the engine. I used 60 gallons yesterday and if it cost me an extra $2-$3 per gallon that’s ok with me. That new stuff looks different and has a strong alcohol smell
    Jack Sardina

I used to use the methanol based anti freeze for years. Blue eyes and stained if you spilled some.

It would ignite too and set off a halon system once when someone left the drains open on exhaust manifolds.

Finding miss winter. Not having to do all that is a pleasure.

Now if i can get my boat out this month and enjoy it I'll feel better.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post

Now if i can get my boat out this month and enjoy it I'll feel better.
    I've been out on mine! No excuse for you!
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Why worry about it sitting in the heat exchanger I know on mine after sucking it through when I pull my zinc out I get about 3 oz of pink out it all drains down. I basically do it so the I protect the mufflers.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

So Dan, are you saying that the raw water drains out of the engines when you shut down? Do you need
    to cause a "venting" action by removing a zinc or perhaps just removing the pressure cap off the heat
    exchanger? If that's the case then if I store my boat in the water I may not need to bother with the
    pink at all. What am I missing.

BTW, in my previous posts I mention 2 different "pinks". Both are for the raw water and or potable water
    system. Neither are for the fresh water side. For that I keep DD Power Cool in it.

Walt

The sea water doesn't have inhibitor, OMG!
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Seems like this has gone off the rails.

Walt, what brand of A/F are you using? I'm curious where they say it could be a problem on the raw water side.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375