Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Air conditioning raw water pump

Any recommendations on a high flow pump for this? My boat has 6 units all being circulated by one pump. When I bought the boat in September it had failed and seller rebuilt it. It is already leaking and twice has jammed the motor somehow. I’m inclined to change to another pump now. Quiet is a plus. Durable is a must. Thanks

Re: Air conditioning raw water pump

Oberdorfer.

3. Re: Air conditioning raw water pump

We replaced our leaking Oberdorf with a March pump; slightly higher volumne at roughly the same price. Pump runs 24/7/365.
    Bill
    Brickell - Miami, Fl
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine

I have on my 53' MY an Oberdorfer M104 pump. It feeds 6 units. I have rebuild it once, very straight forward direct drive pump. Oberdorfer private labels them for Cruisair.

With that said there is nothing wrong with a March pump either. Just be careful on the selection.
    Tim
    1979 53' MY Hull #566
    KNOW PRESSURE
    Hampton, Virginia

Solve your leak problem with a magnetic coupled pump, such as offered by March, with other larger pumps available from Depco.

Carefully select the motor on the pump you choose. Many are Class B (104 F) far less than an engine room environment.

Overall I suggest a call to Depco, they will have whatever you need and want.
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

X2 on Depco, they will make sure you get the right size. Also X2 on Oberdorfer here as well.
    My first thought would be to talk to Depco about rebuilding the one you have; they do beautiful work.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

I ve tried the oberdorfer / cruisair and it failed. Corrosion and erosion takes its toll on the impeller. Replaced it with a big march and no problem ever since. Ive used march on other boats too... great pump

That said i always keep an impeller kit and they can break with time. Replacing the impeller is a 10' job, you xont even have to pull the hoses. Just pull the screws holding the cover, replace the impeller and done.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Again DEPCO.

Great service and knowledgeable.

Send them what you have and let them know what's up and where and how it's mounted. They will honestly repair or suggest a replacement for you.

I don't rebuild pumps anymore. I have spares for most of my customers and swap out for a rebuilt one and send the bad one back to depco.

It's not much more cost to my customer but they can turn things around so much faster because they have the parts on hand.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks for all the replies. I have the pump out and apart now. It is a bronze teel close coupled centrifugal pump. Model 4rh42 driven by a marathon 3/4hp motor. Looks like it’s identical or rebranded to a grainger Daytona pump. Are these common for this application?

Pictures will help
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.