Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Winterizing

Winterizing

Hi winterized the boat today ran out of
    Engine Antifreeze put pink
    Stuff thru the Genny will it be fine
    Or will I have problems any input
    Will be greatly appreciated and

Re: Winterizing

Did you run out before you finished running pink through the generator? Not sure I understand when you ran out of antifreeze.

Yes sorry I ran out then ran pink thru Genny tks

There are two different types of "Pink Stuff". One can be used in engines as it contains some sort of
    anti corrosion chemical, the other which is about $1.00 per gal less should not be used in engines.
    Either of the 2 pinks are available at West Marine but there are many other sources as well. Just be
    sure you're not suckered into buying the cheap version which is Not good for engines. BTW, both pinks
    will protect to the same temps. If you need stronger cold protection, they also have a dark blue one that
    is probably unnecessary except in extreme cold like the great lakes and Maine.

Walt

Are you talking pink as in non toxic water system anti freeze? Don't think you want that in there. It won't freeze, but not sure what it does to various metals/galvanic action etc. etc.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

I purchased in bulk in 55 gallon drum I guess I need to check with the manufacturer TKS
    TKS John

Quote Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
    Are you talking pink as in non toxic water system anti freeze? Don't think you want that in there. It won't freeze, but not sure what it does to various metals/galvanic action etc. etc.
    Not in the cooling system but I think most of the guys run it through the raw water side.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

As I stated before, there are two "pinks". Only one of them is suitable for winterizing engines because
    it has the corrosion inhibitor to protect the metals of the engine raw water side. Unfortunately, there is
    another "Pink" that does not have the inhibitor and for that reason it is not suitable for engines and it
    is intended for potable water systems only. For the $1.00 per gal price difference, I would not have
    both types on my boat for fear of messing up and using the wrong one on the engines. Obviously we
    are not talking about the fresh water side as it has a totally different kind of chemical coolant in it.

Walt

Walt, are you sure you're not misreading "Not suitable for engine use"?

Engine Use meaning not for use as coolant as opposed to raw water side antifreeze. Seawater certainly has no corrosion inhibitors in it, so why would we care if the antifreeze does?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Windshield washer fluid works best