Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Hit and Run

Angry Re: Hit and Run

Like my good friend says if you see a Sea Ray get out of the way.I was anchored out and a 50' Carver ran into me a couple months ago.
    Bob

Re: Hit and Run

I've had 3 Sea Rays catch fire when they were next to me. Always the power cord where it goes into the boat.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

I had the same problem with a hit and run years ago with my 41c. The port side looked just like yours, same damage. No one saw anything. Few days later more scratches, same side, same color, I could tell it was the same boat doing it. Still no one saw anything. Decided to camp on the boat for a few days, and sure enough, just at dawn heard and felt the hit. Turned out a dredge company was ferrying workers back and forth to which ever slip was empty, at any marina they could find. Using a small steel hull skiff painted black, with no rub rail or fenders. Seemed easy to use my hull as a leaning post to steady their boat as to no one would fall out during loading people and supplies. They would press against me, the dock, and leave the boat in gear, so not to use any dock lines.

The fun part started when the dredge company called me a liar wanting a free paint job. I took pics, sent them, they said no way their boat could be responsible. So another camp out with a video camera proved my claim. They said they were sorry, and sent me a check for a buff out, that is all. Called my attorney, he said by the time all the back and forth, the fees, waiting for court dates, I should just take what they offered. So I took the couple grand, rented a camel, did the work myself, and it came out perfect. Had enough money left over to buy some beer.

Good luck, hope you can find who is responsible.

There are people in this world that just suck.

Have a great weekend,
    Tim

4. Re: Hit and Run

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Probably can't afford it there
    how the heck do you know what I can afford Bud? Not sure wtf that jab is about.
    Also have good insurance that you prolly could not afford.
    Just a little FYI, I retired when I was 40, that was 17 years ago. So i can pretty much afford whatever
    I want to buy smartass.

To the others, thanks for the input. I'll check with them and see what they say
    Thanks Again
    TommyB
    Full Cave Diver Instructor TDI
    NAUI
    TDI/SDI
    www.cavediver.net

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    LOL? Maybe he was trying to say the yard is super proud of their work and they charge a fortune??????

Nobody cares what you can or can't afford, but now you just brought it up.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'm sure Scott was referring to the high cost for the work. As Krush said, no one here really cares
    what you can or can't afford. Please try to lighten up some, we're here to help each other after all.

Walt

Please go to scorpion and prove your right.

It's good to know you want to pay the premium. I promise i wont try to help you again.

2 strikes your out.

Remember you had me out to asses the electronics on your boat when you first got it and took that information to your buddies to save some money.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Looks like transfer on top, have you tried to wet sand and buff it?

I think someone who uses “prolly” instead of probably should use some of that money they have to get a better education prolly.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by TommyB View Post
    Also have good insurance that you prolly could not afford.
    Just a little FYI, I retired when I was 40, that was 17 years ago. So i can pretty much afford whatever
    I want to buy smartass.

To the others, thanks for the input. I'll check with them and see what they say
    Thanks Again
    No one cares how much money you have or how you came to have it (inherited comes to mind) If that's the case. why worry about who did it.. Just go buy a new boat.

Me? Im 71 and still working, Id buy a quart of paint at west Marine and do it myself. I cant afford the insurance you have either