Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Salon air handler sticks

The salon has two air handlers on a 24k condenser. The larger 16k air handler fan will not start immediately and sometimes sits for 5 minutes before spinning fine. Power is 230 volts and stable. The cabinet is sealed and lubrication would be major surgery. Knock on wood the Freon leaks have been fixed and the system works great for the last two years. Any ideas?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Re: Salon air handler sticks

The bearings are worn out in the blower motor.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Re: Salon air handler sticks

Concur with Krush re bearings. Lubing will probably help short term while you're searching for a new motor. If the motor has a good bit of slop (end play), you might put a nylon washer/spacer on the shaft to either pull or push the shaft to a slightly different position on the bearings. This might give it some life, albeit, short term.

I have a similarly buried air handler in the salon. I have no idea what I'll do when it's my turn--probably sell the boat. Good luck.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC