Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: 53 MY Repower, started!

According to the Cummins guys and the prop shop who did the calculation it should top at 20/21kts and cruise at 17/18kts

This is why I ve been careful with weight since deciding to get bigger engine I ve removed a lot of weight from the boat. I m going to replace the ER floors with foam core glass as well as the ER hatches that weight a ton. Well, not a real ton... one concern is the drag from the new stabs which are twice as big as the Vospers I m pulling up out. Working on the trim tabs too. Bennett suggested adding tips to the existing tabs to better channel the water. They re about 2" deep and installed on the bottom edges of the tabs,
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    According to the Cummins guys and the prop shop who did the calculation it should top at 20/21kts and cruise at 17/18kts
    I'm 29-30kt WOT. Easy cruise is 18-19kt at 1800. Mine are 420hp 8.3s with the denso pump, but they all make the same HP at cruise.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    They re degreasing the ERs... almost half a century of sludge! Old stabs should be out early next week along with old plywood floors then paint and start fitting the first engine

So far just 2 weeks and 2 days since it all started.
    Have they already cleaned and painted the bilge?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hi Pascal,

Pictures attached.
    It is 151" at its widest point and the curve measures 14" at mid point. Depth is 29".

One bracket has a crack.

002.jpg003.jpg
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Thanks. It s not much deeper than the one I have now. I want to go to a full 36" deep
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

17/18 kts cruise is a very practical speed for these boats. Are keeping the same size of shafts and reduction ratio (2:1) on the transmission ?

Yes same shaft size and same ratio. Putting in new shafts and new props though

We pulled the old trim tabs and I m having the recess filled so we can install new 54x12 tabs which should help provide lift. I know that most of the time we ll run at hull speed but I want and hope to balance the boat to easily hop on plane if needed

The old Vosper mini fins put out a fight but they re out. I m hoping that they ll have everything clean and painted by the end of this week so the first engine can go in. They re also working on the steering system, exhaust etc.

Got a $4600 quote for a new 36" platform which isn't too bad I guess. Divinicel cored to keep aft weight down with ply inserts where it bolts to supports to avoid crushing the core

Heading out to the Exumas for a charter so we ll be gone for a couple of weeks but will try to get pictures of the progress thru a friend
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Try Swim Platforms. Inc. in Phoenix Az. They made my 48 inch deep swim platform and included new Stainless Steel struts and all bolts, even gelcoated it to match my paint, shipping was pretty steep, like $400.00 but the unit was $4400.00 included a pull out swimm ladder. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Try Swim Platforms. Inc. in Phoenix Az. They made my 48 inch deep swim platform and included new Stainless Steel struts and all bolts, even gelcoated it to match my paint, shipping was pretty steep, like $400.00 but the unit was $4400.00 included a pull out swimm ladder. John
    John, did you redesign the stern ladder when you ordered the swim platform? If so send a photo or two. I hate the straight up and down design.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Rusty, not yet but I saw a 61 here with a sideways stair way that I really liked. It is on the list to do someday, I think 2018 is already full with projects. What I did change is the angle of the ladder is more do to the new swim platform being higher so the bottom of the ladder is out further which does make it a little easier to use. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.