Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Re: 53 MY Repower, started!

Sky,

Just admit it. Your a sportfisherman at heart.

I know it's hard to explain but if you look at the modern vessels made today a 20 it cruise is pretty common except for trawlers.

If I were modernizing I'd be looking at similar performance. Add in modern comforts and conveniences too. That's why those buying new boats get all the newest toys. Imagine integrated electronics and autopilot systems, HD tv and communication devices. easy to operate and maintain mechanical systems...
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Sky,

I know it's hard to explain but if you look at the modern vessels made today a 20 it cruise is pretty common except for trawlers.

If I were modernizing I'd be looking at similar performance. Add in modern comforts and conveniences too. That's why those buying new boats get all the newest toys. Imagine integrated electronics and autopilot systems, HD tv and communication devices. easy to operate and maintain mechanical systems...
    When I see the performance of the "modern vessels", I always search for their hull weight, i.e., in the water. Since engines weigh about the same, the difference is 95% in the hull and hull strength. A great deal of the time, they can be from 10-20#'s less than the equivalent Hatt LOA; maybe even lighter. Example- the new Hatt 45' convertible runs 1,000hp+ per side and runs at over 40Kts. However, it weigh 22,000# more that my 43' DCFB, so all that power and speed needs and gets a very stout hull!
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Sky,

Already have HDTV. Just need a new autopilot and update the nav screens. Its all way cheaper than a new boat. And I'd get more room than any new 50-60'MY and the lines are better.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Your last sentence nailed it No other modern 50/60 footer offer the space of an older 50/60 Hatteras. Aft decks are much smaller, so are the FB. Side decks are not narrow too.

This is why upgrading and refitting these boats is worth it if you intend on keeping them.

I just gutted the bow SR, including the head and build a centerline full size bed. I still have room for a decent sized hanging closet in one corner and a nice vanity in the other one. Only compromise is that the people staying in that room will have to walk out to the head which Will be where the old dinette was. But both the stateroom and the head will be 20% bigger than most new 55 footer. It s a no brainer.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

After reading this thread I was wondering if cutting the hull and removeing thru the side of the yacht might be more efficient? This idea was mentioned in the thread and there is a video showing an engine removal thru the hull. With all the new materials ,adhesives,epoxy I would think a proper repair could be made to the hull. Comments ? Regards, Edward

I've seen both ways and the cutting and repair requires repainting too.

I'd rather not put big holes in a hull. Any repair will never be as strong as the original laminated hull.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I do notice that in most of the videos I see of this process there's still quite a bit of stuff on the engine.... I know it takes time, but wouldn't it make life easier for the lift out if everything, including the head was off? Just the block?
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

Maybe easier to take out but you still need to out it in on one piece.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

On the 53 with the big hatches you don’t need to take the engines apart Once the exhaust manifolds are off they come out pretty easily.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

So on my 1984 61MY how would you swap the engines out? I see only three choices:

- Cut a hole in the sides (like that short video), slide engine less sump out.
    - Dismantle the engines to a short block, remove sump and cut smaller hole in side of boat. Slide out.
    - Take up the saloon carpet, dismantle the galley and then cut holes through the floor.

I sort of get the feeling Hatteras never wanted the 12V71 engines replaced, which is fine. But what if you cracked the block? How on earth would you replace/swap a broken MG516 gearbox too?