Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Re: 53 MY Repower, started!

No, repairs won't work. The block is busted due to ice in the cylinder. Leaky head gasket allowed water into the cylinder and the mechanic had intended to pull the heads BEORE winter set in but didn't make it. While I pumped the cylinder out apparently water seeped back in. Boat still has gate valves which are notorious leakers. Replacing that one while the engine is out.

Yes the ladder is easily removable. We were going to use a hydraulic beamed crane but like you said that won't work, too high up.

I'm going to check with a local fabrication shop and see what kind of an I-beam apparatus they can come up with. If I can get the engine onto the aft deck and remove the aft rail then maybe the crane can get to it. Then when the new one comes do the reverse, I hope.

That s the crane lifting the new Cummins. https://youtu.be/6AujqItqRDU

There should be enough room to slide the engine under the door then set up an i beam on the aft deck extending over the engine supported in the salon. Or a boom could reach in there. Reason we had to use i beam all the way is that the Local crane couldn't lift the 8V71 with the tranny at max extension
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Have you considered the alternative of removing the engine through the side of the hull, after a suitable opening has been cut?
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip

That idea make my blood curdle. Cutting a hole in my boat, while probably a viable option, would be a last resort and born of nightmares!

Its a 41 Tri cabin. I still say cut the hole in the cabin top. All Bertrams with that configuration had hatches in the cabin top from the factory. Its not that big of deal to make hatches there and its a straight pull right up and out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What kind of engine is it?

A gasser can be torn down and easily removed and replaced. Diesel blocks are a bit harder to get in and out of the boat.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Going thru the top would be difficult as it would require removing the hard top and all the bridge windows.

The engine is gas and we have he intake and heads removed already. That still leaves about 5-6oo lbs to go. The engine builder wants the old engine or at least some parts of it for the new engine. That puts me in a bind for time as all the boats are supposed to be out of the parking lot (winter storage location) before Memorial Day, which I will not make as it is.

Here’s an engine coming out the side of a hatteras. Personally I don’t like the idea, but it’s been done successfully here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mfhkM24tk
    Last edited by MV Mystery; 04-26-2018 at 08:04 AM.
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

I built a gantry that permitted me to lift and move my Cummins Cs around singlehanded. With the chainfall hoist, vertical lift capacity is many tens of feet. You can see the plans in my Gantry Time post, the build in Gantry Time II, the gantry assembled and in use when I started installing the engines. If you're in the Mid-Atlantic region and want to use it, let me know.

Sorry to go OT on your post, Pascal. She's looking great!

way back when I was young and dumb we would strip it down and lift it out with 4 guys and ropes.

The engine should be manageable on a small a frame with I beam. Any decent boat mechanic will have access to one. Its not a big issue. Replacing it is simple. Build it, test it, take off the exhaust manifold and squeeze it in the doorway.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.