Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Re: 53 MY Repower, started!

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    It s a huge project but worth it. Hopefully. The problem is that we are so busy that we keep wondering when we ll get to use the boat... cant complain about soending so much time in the exumas and getting paid for it

What is making this project even bigger is that i m not just doing a repower and cleaning the engine rooms but redoing oretty much everything incl steering, electrical, layout etc... removing all the old thru hulls (12 of them i think... ), new hardware for the remaining ones, etc.

engines and related hardware were about $110k and i m up to about $40k of labor so far
    Well once this is done I'm sure you'll make time to use the boat plenty!
    So where are you doing this work on the refit? The Exumas?

I concur with you're saying it's not just a repower...that was my holdback for a few years...you have to look at everything if you're going to rip the boat apart...you don't want to do it twice so you look at everything you can get at that needs work or updating. Yes it's the engines, engine room clean up, thru hulls, hoses, most electrical including new breaker panel (after all, the 40+ year old wiring could become a fire hazard), AC compressors, fuel filters, then the Genset (why not update that while we're at it too of course )...while we're at it why not update the galley, clean up the bilges...and then new headliners...flybridge electronics, paint work...! Bottom line: if the engines make it feel like a new boat the rest has to go along with it otherwise it just doesn't make sense.
    And it's nice to give new life to a tried and proven boat and design...beats the new floating plastic looking condo boats they're building today! In my opinion anyway.

I'd be afraid to send you my Excel spreadsheet with estimated costs for what I'd like to do...and I love doing as much as I can myself too.
    There's no more relaxing time spent by me than messing on a good boat project!
    It's rewarding and you get to work with your hands for a change...and you see the results right away!
    It's all fun...looking forward to your next instalment of pics and the performance reports...

But what about getting paid while working the Exumas??

We are looking at buying a lot with a nice boat dock in Rokers Point on Great Exuma...

There was no point in doing a repower, or even rebuild the old DDs, with almost 50 year old wiring, plumbing, etc
    The work is being done at Hurricane Cove on the Miami river.

We run an 84' Lazzara, based in Miami and do quite a few charters in the Exumas spending a lot of time down there

Rockers Point is Emerald Bay Marina. How familiar are you with the development? Entrance to the marina can be really nasty whenever there is an NE swell. Three weeks ago a local fishing charter got swamped coming in and ended up on the beach near the jetty. The surge inside can be really bad. This project has been slow selling all these years. Unless you re talking about something outside the development
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    There was no point in doing a repower, or even rebuild the old DDs, with almost 50 year old wiring, plumbing, etc
    The work is being done at Hurricane Cove on the Miami river.

We run an 84' Lazzara, based in Miami and do quite a few charters in the Exumas spending a lot of time down there

Rockers Point is Emerald Bay Marina. How familiar are you with the development? Entrance to the marina can be really nasty whenever there is an NE swell. Three weeks ago a local fishing charter got swamped coming in and ended up on the beach near the jetty. The surge inside can be really bad. This project has been slow selling all these years. Unless you re talking about something outside the development
    OK that makes more sense regarding Exuma...and why you get paid to work there!

Thanks for the tips regarding Emerald Bay Marina and Rokers Point Estates. I will have a close look at those issues. I am scheduled to go there for the weekend 3rd week in May.
    It is that new development I'm interested in. It took a dive, including asking prices on lots after the 2008 fiasco, and it just hasn't gained momentum again. There are some sold and they have built that new home on spec on the corner near the entrance. At some point it will sell and my view is, unless there is really an issue with getting in there by boat, may as well get in while the prices are still low. The area is superb and close to all the Cays and would make a nice place to hang out for a few months in the Winter. We would bring the boat down or keep it there eventually as a base from which to go and explore the Bahamas. Being from Canada...the Winters are getting longer and longer.

When are you ready to splash or have you? Curious to hear the performance results and see the finished refit!

Thanks!
    Michael

We should splash either late next week if everything goes well. I just ordered the shafts today.

A good surprise was that the set of spare wheels i had the shop check and repitch is nibral not bronze. Hopefully the prop calculations are correct and they will be on target. The shop said it s pretty hard to re pitch nibral wheels.

We were at emerald a couple of weeks ago for fuel. Had to wait 6 hours for the truck to refill their tanks... I needed 1500 gallons so they got the truck in but cruisers needing less have waited a few days...the previous dockmaster (an older British gentlemen) has retired and it seems to be downhill from there. Some docks didn't have power and the fire extinguishers on the fuel dock where rusted so badly that they had collapsed ofnthe wheels! The whole place need maintenance and was 3/4 empty despite being the peak of spring break season

Honestly I d be concerned about buying any property in that complex
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

How are you getting the engine to the aft deck? I need to pull my Port engine on my 69 Hatteras and having trouble coming up with a satisfactory plan for getting the old out and the new in. Any photos?

They used an i beam...

Video

https://youtu.be/nvjsv4KzCb8
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Thanks, that helps. We were considering such but I have 2 decks to haul up, first from the ER into the cabin then up to the deck. We do not have the advantage of big boatyards around here. Mostly on our own with a local mechanic.

Sully

I was amazed at what these guys could do with a i beam, some supports and chain lifts.

I m not familiar with the details of your boat but I wonder if you could either remove the stairs, bring the engine to the door then lift it after moving the i beam to the aft deck. On these boats there is no way you can reach in with a forklift or machinery so doing it manually is the only way
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Thanks, that helps. We were considering such but I have 2 decks to haul up, first from the ER into the cabin then up to the deck. We do not have the advantage of big boatyards around here. Mostly on our own with a local mechanic.

Sully
    Cut a hole in the cabin top and get a crane in there to lift it out.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The discussion is how to remove the engine for repairs and then put it back in place, I think. What needs to be done to the engine that can not be accomplished in place?
    Pete
    1976 Hatteras 48 LRC
    Blue Chip