Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
It s a huge project but worth it. Hopefully. The problem is that we are so busy that we keep wondering when we ll get to use the boat... cant complain about soending so much time in the exumas and getting paid for it

What is making this project even bigger is that i m not just doing a repower and cleaning the engine rooms but redoing oretty much everything incl steering, electrical, layout etc... removing all the old thru hulls (12 of them i think... ), new hardware for the remaining ones, etc.

engines and related hardware were about $110k and i m up to about $40k of labor so far
Well once this is done I'm sure you'll make time to use the boat plenty!
So where are you doing this work on the refit? The Exumas?

I concur with you're saying it's not just a repower...that was my holdback for a few years...you have to look at everything if you're going to rip the boat apart...you don't want to do it twice so you look at everything you can get at that needs work or updating. Yes it's the engines, engine room clean up, thru hulls, hoses, most electrical including new breaker panel (after all, the 40+ year old wiring could become a fire hazard), AC compressors, fuel filters, then the Genset (why not update that while we're at it too of course )...while we're at it why not update the galley, clean up the bilges...and then new headliners...flybridge electronics, paint work...! Bottom line: if the engines make it feel like a new boat the rest has to go along with it otherwise it just doesn't make sense.
And it's nice to give new life to a tried and proven boat and design...beats the new floating plastic looking condo boats they're building today! In my opinion anyway.

I'd be afraid to send you my Excel spreadsheet with estimated costs for what I'd like to do...and I love doing as much as I can myself too.
There's no more relaxing time spent by me than messing on a good boat project!
It's rewarding and you get to work with your hands for a change...and you see the results right away!
It's all fun...looking forward to your next instalment of pics and the performance reports...

But what about getting paid while working the Exumas??

We are looking at buying a lot with a nice boat dock in Rokers Point on Great Exuma...