Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Hydraulic Pump Motor 50hz or 60hz

You are taking a 60Hz USA motor and running it on a 50Hz system in Australia. The motor will spin slower, but it may work fine.

One thing to check is will the motor overheat at 50Hz. Many motors can handle the lower frequency (as regular motors are used on VFD's). You can probably find a motor down there and swap it out if the 60Hz doesn't work or fails. Just make sure the mounting is correct......they all are made in CHINA anyway.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    You are taking a 60Hz USA motor and running it on a 50Hz system in Australia. The motor will spin slower, but it may work fine.

One thing to check is will the motor overheat at 50Hz. Many motors can handle the lower frequency (as regular motors are used on VFD's). You can probably find a motor down there and swap it out if the 60Hz doesn't work or fails. Just make sure the mounting is correct......they all are made in CHINA anyway.
    This may be the cheapest option since it could save you the shipping cost f the entire pump. it depends on how the pump and motor are mounted but most motor driven equipment uses off the shelf motors to save costs.

Reading everyone’s replies, I have not explained myself very well. My boat is 60 Hz. I cannot buy a 60 Hz motor in Australia. Therefore I am going to buy a 60 Hz motor and the hydraulic pump in the United States and ship them to Australia. I am lseeking an American company that can supply me with the pump and 60Hz motor combination.

Depco in Tampa florida
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks, but I contacted DepCo and they do not sell any hydraulic pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by scottinsydney View Post
    Reading everyone’s replies, I have not explained myself very well. My boat is 60 Hz. I cannot buy a 60 Hz motor in Australia. Therefore I am going to buy a 60 Hz motor and the hydraulic pump in the United States and ship them to Australia. I am lseeking an American company that can supply me with the pump and 60Hz motor combination.
    Scott...I did read your post correctly. Again a buck and boost transformer.

Buck and boost transformers do not change frequency.

I know depco does all kinds of pumps and motors. Maybe get a pump head and motor seperately. I'd call around to shops that use hydraulics for things like lifts and compactor to see what's avaialable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Try Grainger or McMaster Carr if you can't find it anywhere else.
    "The older I get, the faster I was......."

1979 60C "Ohana" hull# 331

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Buck and boost transformers do not change frequency.

I know depco does all kinds of pumps and motors. Maybe get a pump head and motor seperately. I'd call around to shops that use hydraulics for things like lifts and compactor to see what's avaialable.
    I Know it does not change the frequency. The goal is to create the equal "sock" of power if you will. We did this on German Heidelberg printing presses with quite sensitive computers and electronics. In bringing a machine to the states that was slated for the European market, they would be 380 volt/50 cycle. Based on the "house" power voltage, we would use a buck and boost with mutitaps at 2 1/2% increments to achieve ideally 410 volts 60 cycle. This would be the equal "sock" of power feeding the machine. These machines have run for years and years with no electrical problems due to the change. Talk to a good transformer supplier and give the parameters of what you want to change with amps and volts and a stock unit should be able to be supplied.

All the pumps have removable motors. Simply get the right motor for the pump.

It's not rocket surgery.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.