Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hydraulic Pump Motor 50hz or 60hz

I wish to add a 1200-1600psi 1.5 gallon per minute electric hydraulic pump into the hydraulic circuit of our newly installed Vetus stabiliser system. Vetus have already drawn the flow diagram for us, so its easy to accomplish using a couple of check valves and an electric pump.

This modification will enable the stabilisers to operate when we are at anchor with the generator running.

The boat is 240 volts 60Hz. In Australia I can only buy a 240 Volt hydraulic pump that is 50 Hz.

What is the technical/electrical downside of using a 50Hz motor running on 60Hz power? It would only be used for only a few hours at a time if/when we needed it. Would the electric motor just run a little less efficiently or perhaps a little warmer?

Re: Hydraulic Pump Motor 50hz or 60hz

It will run faster. I would try to get a 60Hz pump or motor.

Usually for stabs to work in. Zero speed mode you need special software as well as different fins. Did vetus confirm their standard stabs will work at zero speed?
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Since the new stabilisers were installed I've done several tests. The port engine has to be running. I also got the biggest fins possible at 7.5 square foot. They seem quite long.

In open water in neutral with stabilisers on the boat will gradually turn and point into the swell and not roll.

At anchor with cross swell and stabilisers on, boats rocking is minimal.

The Vetus gyro seems to be the type of same circuitry you might find in an iPhone. Its basically a chip the size of a packet of matches. I don't know about programming of the unit, but it seems to work really well at rest or under way.
    Last edited by scottinsydney; 11-21-2017 at 06:54 PM.

Interesting. I talked to trac about converting the system we have in the lazzara 84 i run and we would have to upsize the fins and actuators, plus adding a pump and chnage the software. Apparently the software needs to react differently to be effective.

The refurbished Trac system i got for my 53 is oversized so i may work at anchor.

To get back to your original question, i used to live on St Barths in the french caribbean back in the 80s. Power there is an odd combo of 220v but 60hz. Every french imported appliance worked but run faster incl clocks. US 120v appliances reauired converters but ran correctly
    Last edited by Pascal; 11-21-2017 at 08:30 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I worked with European printing equipment for years. In importing machinery that was 380 volt, 50 cycle,we would use a multitap buck & boost transformer to raise the voltage. 410 - 415 volts, 60 cycle would give the same "sock" of power as the 380/50. Check with a good transformer company. This might be accomplished easier than you think.

6. Re: Hydraulic Pump Motor 50hz or 60hz

You will need an electric cooling pump as well.

have depco send you the pump you want.
    Mal
    Miss Molly
    '85 53ED #750

Tried Depco, thank you for the suggestion, but who said they sold every pump except hydraulic pumps. Any other suggestions on a hydraulic pump supplier for my application?

If you absolutely cannot find a 60hz pump, look into a variable frequency drive (VFD). They can be used to change the HZ from 60 to whatever you need. Only problem is, it is just one more item that can fail. Depending on the motor HP they can get very expensive as well.

At 60hz the motor will run approximately 20% faster which I would assume would cause all kinds of issues. You should probably run that by the pump mfg and see if the pump could handle it. It may just increase volume which may or may not be a problem.

Thanks. But I intend to buy it in the United States, and ship it to Australia. So I am after a 1.5 gallon per minute 1200-1600psi pump with 60Hz motor. 120 or 240 volt. No need for a tank. Will be used for a few hours at a time once a month.