Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Getting started

Getting started

After sleeping in the canal for 2 years I finally grabbed the tail of the tiger. No turning back now. Not going to be a total refit but one hell of an undertaking. Got at least ten bottom jobs sanded off. Also sanded and prepped hull sides. Starting prep on the cabin. Plan to use awlgrip spayed. Shafts are out headed to get new couplings and checked for straight.
    Attached Images

Re: Getting started

You poor man. Lol. Bring her back to her glory. Good luck and keep the photos coming.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

My first hat was a 1964 34 with 440 Chrysler a gas drinking rascal. But my wife and i wore it out all over the ocean and creeks every weakens.
    We broke it in all right cooked, swam, fished, and burned the heck out of gas. Go back home make a little more money and away we went again
    young dum and full or everlasting fun. Enjoy it all about the good times we still talk about the 34.
    enjoy and welcome to the best darn web croud around for hat info and its free except for the crap you have to put up with from Scott and Freebirb.

Tim

Some advice is not even worth what you pay for it.

Remember Some of us with 41's will be interested to see what she becomes.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

A few roadblocks- the anchor doesn't fit the davit or davit isn't long enough. Need to reconstruct several feet of fiberglass behind the starboard rub rail. (Not too bad) Seal the cap/ rail joint. Decide whether or not to r&r the port holes.Looking at relocating the run lights to bridge. And lastly the dreaded window frames. I really want to paint soon as we are running out of good weather In the next couple of weeks here in lower Alabama. Headed down for a huge work weekend starting Wednesday with some help. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.Derek

Making lots of progress. Got most of the exterior sanding done. Bow rail undone. Main engine and genny thru hulls out. All the old antennas gone. Thinking about removing the outriggers. They are aged pretty bad.
    Attached Images

Rooting for you. Done stupid big jobs. Know the feeling, but it IS worth it.
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay

The original 41 is one of the most versatile hulls out there! Good speed without tons of HP and a nice ride in most of the stuff you'd take a 41 in.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Thanks for the input and support! She is testing me pretty good. Removed 36 bow rail bolts. 28 are sill half way in the deck. The rail fittings are rough looking, hope to replace them. Also a little scared to crawl into fly bridge seat areas to remove grab rails. It looks like a coffin in there. However you tend to learn everything about your boat in these areas when getting "all in" I am having fun going going the distance. I will try and keep the pics going.Derek

Whatever you do, don't Google "Ship fitters disease".
    1978 53' Motor Yacht "LADY KAY V"
    Hull number 524
    Chesapeake Bay