Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

How much to twist a prop

Yesterday, coming in at idle, the props touched bottom. The city is dredging our entrance channel and the channel changes daily. Anyhow how much does it take to get the props out of wack? There nibral , it was a short shudder, like the tips just touched. Everything was smooth prior to this. It will be easy to tell later today after a trest run.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Re: How much to twist a prop

Doesn’t take much, a branch, a rock anything hard can bend a blade. Are you sure you didn’t wrap something around the prop? Try this little trick. Put the boat in reverse and rev it up for 30 seconds are so. If there is something on the props it might reverse it off. Works for me when I get seaweed and grasses around the props. Good luck.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Hey Fred, My experience has been that Nibral takes a liken and keeps on tickin. Seriously over the years
    I have had experiences when we touched bottom or hit something with the props. Regular bronze props
    get messed up much easier than nibral and in fact that's one of the advantages of nibral. Of course as
    with most things there are down sides to "stronger" props. The weakest link in a chain is the one that
    breaks first and with drive systems on boats you need to decide where your weakest link should be. I
    think I would prefer to fix or replace a prop rather than a gear in the transmisssion. I had 4 blade Stainless
    Steel props on my last 43DC and they were great but due to their superior strength I worried about breaking
    a gear so I installed "breakaway" couplings.

You probably didn't do much damage if any to your props since you were at idle speed but we would sure
    like to know how you made out with it.

Walt

If it s hard bottom chance the tips are bent. Softer stuff like sand or mud and they may be fine. Only way to know is to do a sea trial
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

All is good. Its a horrible sound when they do that. Thanks all for the feedback.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

So nothing happened? If so lucky you.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Pretty sure nothing happened. Been running 20 hours per week these past 2 weeks, and plan on running more if the weather permits, now through December. The boat has been running nice. You know how they do after figuring out and fixing things.
    Took it out after services and she runs as if nothing happened. So I'm guessing nothing did.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"

Snorkle and run your thumb and forefinger (carefully--they can be sharp!) across both sides of each tip on each prop blade. If they are smooth and even you are probably fine. Sand just polishes them up a little. It can remove the antifouling paint from the tips but there's usually not much left of this left after a little run time anyway.
    Jim Grove, Fanfare 1966 50MY Hull #22 (Delivered Jan. 7, 1966)

"LIFE IS JUST ONE DAMNED THING AFTER ANOTHER." Frank Ward O'Malley, Journalist, Playwright 1875-1932