Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Insurance survey – Port engine exhaust pinhole leaks

Quote Originally Posted by nautibake View Post
    Thanks Cricket, great suggestion on the epoxy temp replacement. Is there a particular epoxy that would work best (seems like it would need some kind of wrap and of course be able to withstand high termeratures)?
    JBWeld
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Marine Tex is the right epoxy for this job. It mixes to a consistency you can brush on. Honestly it would last for years but no, it’s not “right”

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. Sounds like Marine Tex or JB Weld would do the trick, perhaps indefinitely. I would love to punt this into next summer if possible and then take the time to do it right outside of prime cruising season down here in S FL.

Also Jim - appreciate your observation on the length of the surge tube. I'll keep that in my notes when I get the proper replacement done.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Check with the insurance surveyor that that is an acceptable repair. Since it has been noted as a issue, you have to be careful. If you half-@ss a repair, you may jeopardize your coverage should that exhaust fail.

Do the right thing and replace. The pin holes could turn into a piece falling out and then you're on the bottom. It would be easy for an insurance investigator to deny a claim once they see the repair, a little further insurance investigation, like reading SAMS and claim denied. Some of the bigger exhaust shops may already have a drawing for your surge tubes to be able to fabricate or create a drawing and have them pre-made. It's an easy swap out once you have the new tubes.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Finally got the quote to replace one exhaust elbow in Port ER, with boat in water. $5200 ($3000 parts and $2200 labor). Will keep looking for some other options. Any other comparisons out there?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Ouch !! Is that for stainless or glass ?

Quote Originally Posted by MadHatter53 View Post
    Ouch !! Is that for stainless or glass ?
    That was my reaction exactly! This is for one fiberglass exhaust elbow.
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL