Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strataglass Scratch Removal

I have some light scratches on my bridge enclosure. It is made (in the aft) of strataglass. Will anything work well to remove these scratches? Thanks.

Re: Strataglass Scratch Removal

I've tried most things to bring my enclosures back but have had the best results from their own product, imar strataglass protective cleaner.
    Don't leave it on for long and use a large terry towel to buff it off, the 'turning regularly' bit seems important as will smear back onto the enclosure. I now see they do a polish as well. I was looking at having new curtains made and even tried machine polishing one of them but this cleaner did a great job of bringing them back.

Check out the Novus line. They have 3 levels of scratch remover and a liguid cleaner. I also like the Imar product as a cleaner, but the Novus is better at getting out small scratches. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I use the Imar and apply it about 8 times a year. Windows are 3 years old and still look great. I use a baby diaper to apply and remove. You can buy used diapers online. They are as much as s good steak per pound.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

When I worked at a new boat dealer here in Toronto I was amazed at what our techs could do with Novus 1, 2 and 3 products and plastic parts that were dirty or scratched. It worked really well on clear enclosure panels, either soft or hard. It also worked really well for removing scratches from synthetic solid surface counter tops.

Well I bought some Novus 1-3 thanks to Scarlett. Better watch your back, buddy.

I took down all seven panels today (that's 14 sides for the slow ones). Washed them then machine buffed with #3, then #2 and finished them all up with #1 by hand. My bridge has seated 15 if that gives you an idea of the size of the enclosure (three sided). The enclosure looks great.

Turns out I'm one of the slow ones. Now I can't lift my arms above my head. 64 sucks. Too expensive to get hurt and too young for medicare.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Robert,

While I would be hesitant to try it on an enclosure panel without doing a test patch first, I have seen a mouse sander with buffing pad used with Novus 1-2-3 to remove scratches from corian type counters. It saved considerable time (and your hands and arms).

WW

Quote Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
    Robert,

While I would be hesitant to try it on an enclosure panel without doing a test patch first, I have seen a mouse sander with buffing pad used with Novus 1-2-3 to remove scratches from corian type counters. It saved considerable time (and your hands and arms).

WW
    I’ve done that and it works well.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
    Robert,While I would be hesitant to try it on an enclosure panel without doing a test patch first, I have seen a mouse sander with buffing pad used with Novus 1-2-3 to remove scratches from corian type counters. It saved considerable time (and your hands and arms).WW
    Thanks. I did test before diving in.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Well I bought some Novus 1-3 thanks to Scarlett. Better watch your back, buddy.

I took down all seven panels today (that's 14 sides for the slow ones). Washed them then machine buffed with #3, then #2 and finished them all up with #1 by hand. My bridge has seated 15 if that gives you an idea of the size of the enclosure (three sided). The enclosure looks great.

Turns out I'm one of the slow ones. Now I can't lift my arms above my head. 64 sucks. Too expensive to get hurt and too young for medicare.

Let me know when you recoop and I'll bring my enclosure to you