Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Insurance survey – Port engine exhaust pinhole leaks

During Irma we got a new appreciation for insurance coverage. Thankfully we didn’t need it, but we decided to increase our level of coverage. Insurance company required an in water survey. We were able to increase our coverage by $165K, but surveyor noted a few items to be addressed. Most all are minor and I can address, but I will likely need someone for the exhaust.

Port engine has developed pinhole leaks in what I think is the surge tube. Here are a couple of pics. You can see rust stains on deck below where leaks have developed.

Question: is this an obvious replacement item, or is it repairable? Is it critical or is it just something to keep an eye on? I have heard the horror stories about the worst case scenarios with water getting to the engine. Just not sure if this is what could lead to that. As always, any thoughts appreciated.

Jerry
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Re: Insurance survey – Port engine exhaust pinhole leaks

If its below the waterline it's critical to do it out of the water. If there's not a shop locally call me and I can have it copied.

I'd not patch it as there's no good reason to take a chance another area won't fail.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

If one area is going bad surely there will be future erosion in areas near by. Just as easy to replace with new and have piece of mind you’re safe. Have fun.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Looks like you could replace with a fiberglass 90 and the appropriate reducer and new hose.
    Bob

For a surge tube, it is rather short. If you are going to the expense of having this copied in FRP, which is a good idea, is there room to make the surge tube longer?

Have them made out of fiberglass and be done with it. You could lightly scratch up the area around the holes and apply some epoxy that will cure underwater over the holes as TEMP repair till the new ones are ready. Also agree that the surge portion could be a little longer if you have room.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Thanks Gents - very much appreciated.

By a scheduling fluke I got a competent mechanic on board today. He will remove the exhaust, but I will need to find a shop to send it to.

Scott - can I take you up on finding replacement? It is close to the waterline but I'll confirm when I get back on board (Wednesday). Rose Marina has a 75 ton lift so that is not a problem, but I guess I would need to be on the hard until the new exhaust is ready. Hopefully this can be done in water.

I like the FRP option. I guess with surge tubes, bigger is better? Sorry, not sure of the engineering.

We're looking to schedule the removal right after Thanksgiving. Hope so, we were planning on traveling over the holidays...
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Have them made out of fiberglass and be done with it. You could lightly scratch up the area around the holes and apply some epoxy that will cure underwater over the holes as TEMP repair till the new ones are ready. Also agree that the surge portion could be a little longer if you have room.
    Thanks Cricket, great suggestion on the epoxy temp replacement. Is there a particular epoxy that would work best (seems like it would need some kind of wrap and of course be able to withstand high termeratures)?
    Jerry B.
    "Sea Joy"
    Hull #318
    1977 58MY (Galley Up)
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have done mine in the water before. 61CMY which are just above water line. Used small fender inflated into out let in stern. Make sure you do not use to much inflation pressure. And I also clamped a plug, in my case a suitable sized saucepan at inboard end of rubber coupler.
    Ray

1983 61CY 319

AnnaVal
    Jacksonville FL.

Helped a friend patch up his wet riser that must have had 20 pinholes between both engines, the epoxy was a 2 part clay (2 colors) like material that you needed together before applying. he got through the summer with them before replacing, can't remember the brand. The exhaust shops probably have a fill in the blank form to create new ones from so you can just swap them out without getting stuck hauled out for a long period. You can always plug up the exhaust tube with something that can be inflated, I like to plug it on both ends if it's going to be overnight or longer.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E