Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Re: 1964 Hatt Yacht-Fish 41 - Joining the club

One of our other members who is restoring a Chris-Craft Roamer had similar problems- the company assured him they would be fine- and they were not.

Have you talked to Broaddus Rose, who I think is on here somewhere? He's familiar with these boats.

About the issue with the electrical panel and the air intakes etc- I think Scott is right on this. The back of the panel ought to be boxed and sealed against moisture intrusion. By the time you know it's gotten in there, it's already too late.

The 36C (mine at least) doesn't seem to have this issue. It is boxed from the factory, and although I'm sure my (original) window frames are no better than anyone else's after nearly fifty years, so far, so good.

I think I've sorted out the windows finally. I'm going with the vinyl-framed windows by Mark Plastic, formerly Go Windows. I know a lot of people that have used them in the past and he comes highly recommended.

We're now moving onto the cockpit overhang/overhead that the fly bridge ladder bolts to. As I've said previously, this opening was approximately 20" x 20" and very difficult to get through. It's plenty big if your body type mimics a green bean .... but for us regular folk, it's tough to get through. The opening has been cut 6" deeper and 4" wider and we'll now begin to rebuild it.

Lastly, the hull is seeing its first paint, Fighting Lady Yellow. That'll continue as we were looking at various boot strips sizes to see which looks best.

Onward & forward.
    IMG_1785.jpgIMG_1783.jpg

A lot of time has passed since I last posted but quite a bit has changed. The enlarged opening that was cut in the cockpit overhang has been finished and all new fiberglass panel was secured, filled & faired. I couldn't be happier. It's so easy to get up the stairs now and it looks amazing. I've run wiring for 3 downlights and two speakers in that overhang.
    Also, as recommended by my future window replacement guy, he suggested that I add vertical supports in the center of the large, salon windows because, quite often, there can be some sag from the weight of the flybridge (and people) causing undue stress on the windows. I've followed his suggestion and created a hollow, walnut, vertical support in the middle of each huge, salon sliding window. The added bonus is that it allow an additional location for power/wiring to travel to the flybridge.
    Since my last entry, all new through-hulls have been placed and all the tubes from bilges, drains, shower/sinks and such have been replaced. A custom (40 gallon) holding tank was ordered and placed in the mid-stateroom with all venting & disposal tubes connected. I'll be building a new walnut cabinet/dresser in the mid-stateroom that will enclose the holding tank (with future access) in the bottom. The existing layout of the 41 mid-stateroom had L-shaped bunks. I've torn all of that out because it felt really tight with very little room to walk around. I'll be building over/under bunks against the hull-side wall with a long, floor-to-ceiling cabinet/dresser filling the wall that is against the salon. This will provide more floor space and make the room feel bigger.
    While all sounds smooth, I've run into a few problems as well. The props I bought were beautifully restored and looked amazing. It appeared to be the only thing I DIDN'T need to fix. Well ..... not so. Someone suggested that I ensure they were balanced and would perform equally when used. I took them to an shop that specializes in this type of work for testing and x-ray. They were not at all equally pitched and one of the props had a crack in the hub. Although almost impossible to see with the naked eye, the crack was so significant that had I actually installed them and hit the throttle, the blades would have been thrown in various directions causing significant potential damage. I begrudgingly purchased a new prop and had them both tuned to match. Painfully pricey but probably worth it in the long run. I think I'll make a weird end table or something from the broken prop ...... because, why not?
    I'm agonizingly close to spending time/money on items that improve the visual look of the boat. I've been holding myself back from starting this until all mechanical & structural items have been finished. Picture a race horse with flared nostrils pushing against the inside of the starting gate door.
    As those aesthetic items begin to happen, I'll be sure to post a lot of photographs. Tonight, I'll be removing all of the Philippine mahogany doors & drawers to begin sanding off the varnish that was applied when Lyndon B. Johnson was president. My, how time flies.

Photos attached. Also, I'd like to begin making new sliding doors for the salon. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of sliding hardware I should buy and where?
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by nabstar View Post
    Photos attached. Also, I'd like to begin making new sliding doors for the salon. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of sliding hardware I should buy and where?
    Are you going to sell your current salon doors?

Sure, I'd be happy to. The original hardware was pulled, repaired and re-chromed. The hardware looks amazing. I can send photos this week.

Please send them by email to michaelkbrunelle@gmail.com

It's been a while since I last posted but work has been busy and free time has been limited. The interior work continues and a lot of below decks work is not finished. Last week the forward salon window frames were cleaned up (filled, faired & painted) in preparation of the windows installing soon. Also, the flybridge helm was sanded, primed and painted. All previous holes in the helm were filled to give me a clean slate for new gauges, a new position for the controls and new steering wheel. The original steering wheel was polished and used at the lower helm. But rather than just place the gauges on the flybridge as before, we built a custom walnut facia that follows the curve of the helm. It's got about 9 coats of varnish on it and looks amazing.
    PS - Not sure why the photos are not rotated correctly. They're correct on my computer. If anyone knows how to correct this, please let me know.
    Attached Images

Just read my post .... and I said that the "below decks" work was NOT finished ...... I meant to say that the below decks work is NOW finished. Ooops.