Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hay cricket

hay cricket

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1987...s#.WffS7svR82w

Take a look and see what they used for the mask. I do not think it is paint what is your openion...Look through the
    picks just before the engine ones there is a close up.
    Last edited by Tim Powell; 10-30-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Re: hay cricket

Looks like paint, but who knows.
    The boat is kept under a shed which will keep the solar heat off.
    Wonder how a wrap would work, just don't walk on it or scrub it hard.....
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

could it be a polly glass or a plexie glass. I know the ones that were painted by some of the makers got so hot it bubled the glass.

Looks like Paint to me. If it were vinyl wrap it would not be that shiny, even with a gloss Lam on it.

Not sure what is being done but a lot of newer boats are going back to the black mask. Slane was going to do that on his boat. I spoke to him about it and he said that there’s new products that don’t have the heat issues. Never got into it with him so I don’t have any more details. FYI the boat you posted is one I almost bought about 12 years ago. She was just redone then with fresh interior, yellow hull and white topsides. Had a black hull, then painted yellow, then white and now painted again.
    Jack Sardina

Solved called Hatteras today.
    It is paint black metallic axel seal paint. It does get hot and it does produce blisters from time to time.
    They have experimented with other products. They can not get all the problems to go away. The mask also raises cabin temp
    they would not say how much. They even tried impregnated carbon fiber which was black but would not shine without paint.
    Back to square one. They looked at black acrylic they had to piece it so they ruled it out.
    They did say that axel seal dark primer seem to help it not produce blisters. The more metallic the less blisters.
    That was about all i could get out of them. Except once you start spraying do not stop it is very hard to repair if not impossible.