Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Chartmaker's Chuck and Lisa here.Besides updating my "Steam Gauges" for the DD's... I would like to find a sensor gateway to bring engine data up on the boat network. I am starting the helm redisgn and I want to reduce the number of unreliable mechanical gauges to make way for MFD's at the helm one day.Ideally the module would have inputs where I could bridge off the mechical gauge signals to collect the DD and Alison Transmission sensor inputs. Yachtd and some other companys make a number of gateway adapters to take conforming modern engine data and put it up on NEMA-0183, N2K, or WiFi networks... Buth these are 40 year-old engines... We have to collect the sensor data first from each engine room. Heck- I'd want to install one on the old Onan MDJx Generator too.This product probably exists in the industrial control industry sector somewhere...haven't discovered it through web searches yet.Thanks all. Lisa and I are working on rebedding the flybridge this weekend. Wish us luck.Cap't Chuck1978 53MY

Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Everything you need to know is in this thread on THT.... https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...-gauge-g2.html
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

3. Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Yep Analog to NEMA2000 is the way. I have a Noland MD33 that I have been playing with.
    Previously I tried a Actisense EMU-1 with poor results. I haven't had enough time to work out the bugs with Noland yet and they were affected by the hurricane. I'll post back with my results and calibration info. Last I heard from them:

"Right now the MD33 is limited to 2-point (linear calibration). We are, however, updating the MD33 firmware which will include 3-point calibration along with other upgrades. We should have that upgrade available by end of October."

4. Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Thanks for that. More good info. I am hoping that the isolation issue doesn't affect me as much given that I have regulated 12v convertors. I will be paying close attention to that.

The chetco looks like the hot ticket item though for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Everything you need to know is in this thread on THT.... https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-...-gauge-g2.html
    Last edited by MVCaprice; 10-27-2017 at 05:14 PM.

I was doing this research (you can find my thread I made here on HOF somewhere). I'm glad that guy posted his experience with NOLAND. I was debating between Noland and Chetco, and plan to talk to them if they are at FLIBS.

I'll be buying and installing a CHETCO this winter.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    Krush-Many thanks for the Chetco link. No amount of google searches would have gotten me there.Regards-Chuck

7. Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Has anyone used the Chetco?

I am in the processing of finalizing my MD33 calibration and reached out to the author of the article recommending the Chetco. I also am finishing up the install of the Actisense on our NL ML844L generator which should be interesting.

I have an MD33 and gave up. Anyone want it for half price?
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

9. Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by davidwigler View Post
    I have an MD33 and gave up. Anyone want it for half price?
    David,

I emailed Kevin last night with everything I have for sender curves etc. I just called Kevin to follow up. He is reviewing my senders and will send me calibration by tomorrow AM. I'll post the values and results. Maybe there is still a chance we can get these things working!

10. Re: DD 8v71TI Gurus- Know of an EGM Adapter?

Here is the feedback I received from Noland Engineering:

Oil Press(0-80 psi):
    Atypical 80 psi American Sender should have a resistance to ground of 240Ohms @ 0 psi. If the Sender is connected to two gauges (Dual Station), itmust be half this resistance or 120 Ohms. The most accurate way tomeasure Sender resistance is wit it disconnected from the gauge(s). Yourmeasured value is about 100 Ohms, which isn't far from the expected 120 Ohms.

WithIgnition Key 'ON' (gauges powered) and engine not running (Oil Press = 0), Iwould expect a gauge voltage of about 6v. Start the engine, and assumingthe Oil Press goes up to say 50 psi, the gauge voltage should drop to about2.5v. So, these are the cal values I would use:

SenseV1 6.0 DispVal1 0
    SenseV2 2.5 DispVal2 50

Eng Temp(100-220 degF):
    Themost common American Sender for this range is 450 Ohms @ 100deg, whichtranslates to 225deg for a Dual Station Sender. Assuming your engine wascooler than 100deg when you measured sender resistance, your value of about 250ohms isn't far from expected.

So,let's assume that 100degF yields a gauge voltage of about 7.3v. You canverify this during engine warmup by checking the gauge voltage as soon as yourgauge points to "100". The 2nd point should be obtained asclose to normal operating temp as possible. With Diesels, this isdifficult unless you can put them under heavy load. If you can warmyour engine to say 175 deg, I expect the gauge volts will be about 3.0v. I would therefore start with these cal values:

SenseV1 7.3 DispVal1 100
    SenseV2 3.0 DispVal2 175

Fuel Level(WEMA Sender):
    Sinceyou didn't include a Sender Curve, I'm just going to assume it's astandard 240-33 Ohm American sender. Also, I assume it's notconnected to a gauge, which means you must have A3 "Sender Currents"ON (blue Dipswitch). This results in the following ideal calibrationvalues:

SenseV1 2.2 DispVal1 0 (empty)
    SenseV2 0.3 DispVal2 100 (full)

Ishould warn you, however, that Fuel Senders rarely travel their full range wheninstalled in tanks, so the real "Sense v1" might be say 2.0vwhen empty and/or "Sense v2" could be say 0.5v when full. Also,since it is rare to completely empty a tank, you may have to get the firstcalibration point at say 1/4 tank (25%) or 1/8 tank (12.5%) or whatever else isconvenient.

Tran Press(0-400 psi)
    Theonly American Sender I have for this range is a1-88 Ohm for 0-400 psi respectively. This doesn't agreewith your measured Sender resistance of 75 Ohm, which I assume you took at 0psi (engine not running). So this one will have be be determined by bruteforce. I would get all the others dialed in, then we'll work on thisone.