Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Complete Refit 1972 58 Tri-Cabin

Hello everyone,

This spring we became owners of a project yacht, she has been pulled and a complete bottom done, no blisters were found some scrapes in the bow and replaced the port prop. all the zinks were changed, rudder posts were repacked, the twins have less than 200 hours SMOH and run like new. New Fixed CO2 System & 12 Fire Extinguishers Type I & II.

Now the big step the Admiral wants a new galley with a side by side refrigerator.....

How do I get it into the boat?

We are doing a complete rewire with a change from 32 volt to 24 volt, removing all the DC lighting and going with 120 volt LED.

Steven A. (Deckhand with Master Unlimited Oceans & Great Lakes Pilot License)
    Sandra J. (Admiral Full time Grandma)
    Wesley B. (Steward Retired & part of the dream, 100 ton Master License)

Pirates Treasure
    1972 58 Tri-Cabin (the Dream)
    12V-71N's (The twins)

Re: Complete Refit 1972 58 Tri-Cabin

Sounds like a great project. Can't help on the side by side install, love the switch over to 24 volt from 32 volt, will really open up your choices and everything will so much easier to find. Just curious about running the new led lights on 110v. We've been switching our 110v lights over to 24v during our room by room led installs. My thought was no matter what there would be power to run them if 110v wasn't available, both at the dock and away from it, as they use so little 24v amps which can be supplied by the engine charging if the generator is out.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I had a 58TC, and the only "trick" I can think of would involve cutting the roof and dropping it in. That being said, I'm sure you can find something with a depth that will fit the width of the steps.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Don’t know what your measurements are but check out a Whirlpool French door refer. We just put one in our 53 MY it is only 30 inches wide but has plenty of usable space with the bottom pull out freezer
    Attached Images
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

You might take a look at the Summit line. They are a commercial series with a lot of size options. We replaced a non working sub zero with this model:

https://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/FFBF286SS

We got it through a local restaurant supply place. It's 27" wide by 27" deep & 75" tall. Not as much room as a big side by side but it fit perfectly in the space we had in our galley up. 5.6 cu ft. freezer with 3 slide out drawers. Fridge itself is 11.7 cu ft. It just made it between the counter top and cupboards. We also got a beverage cooler that holds our drinks so there is still plenty of room in the fridge, 5.4 cu ft in that unit. Together they give us enough cold storage & most importantly we got them in without ripping anything apart.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlett View Post
    Don’t know what your measurements are but check out a Whirlpool French door refer. We just put one in our 53 MY it is only 30 inches wide but has plenty of usable space with the bottom pull out freezer
    With the doors off did it slide down the staircase with no issues? Or did you have to remove trim?
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Lol master unlimited busted down to Deckhand? Ouch! Do you remember how that paint brush works? LolSounds like a fun project, best of luck!

Rusty, my opening is wider than standard so it went down doors and all side or back
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

YES, however when the Admiral has never been on a big boat and the Steward has broken parts that need to be rebuilt getting her underway is fun!

I start the twins get them warm, unhook everything let go the lines, put them on deck, push the boat off the dock, climb on without falling in the water, make my way to tHe FB then drive to wherever they want to go!

I have been told I make it look easy......

Steven A

Thanks Scarlett we will look into Whirlpool!

We want to try and keep all the appliances the same manufacturer, ease of maintenance.

Steven A.