Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

42C Cockpit Aluminum Trim

I'm currently in the process of repainting my 1978 42C. I decided to remove the badly deteriorated bolsters, and not replace them, I've also removed the aluminum trim that was mounted around the boundary of the cockpit. The trim is badly corroded, and was removed to facilitate painting, and I've filled the fastener holes.

My question to other owners, is what they may have done in a similar circumstance: 1) remove the trim, and leave it off 2) replace the trim with an alternative 3) fill and paint the existing trim 4) replace trim with new [source of replacement]?

Ocean Cowboy
    1978 42C
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Jeremy
    Attached Images

Re: 42C Cockpit Aluminum Trim

i removed the trim filled the holes and painted. much cleaner look

Removed trim, cleaned it up, painted with aluminum colored Imron, also Imron clear, put it back on. Holding up nicely and that was 15 years ago. You will have to replace the wood behind it, though.

I replaced mine when I painted. Taco marine has a direct replacement. http://tacomarine.com/product/A11-01...minum-Rub-Rail
    Last edited by CDB101; 01-15-2016 at 08:58 AM. Reason: change link
    Chad
    1970 36C
    Catawba Island, OH

I cleaned and polished mine. While I was at it I replaced the wood on the inside behind the coaming and installed cock pit lighting up in there as well, it makes a nice soft indirect light. That trim covers the screw heads that attach the wood pieces in there. I see you have a transom door, is it one or two piece and did you have it done or was it done before?

Walt Hoover

Thanks, Bill, Jim, Chad, and Walt. I am planning on installing LED strips, it had rope lighting previously, but I'm on the fence as to the direction I'll take with the trim. I'd like to keep original in spirit, the idea of painting the original is appealing, and cheaper, even though it's extremely pitted. I may just hang on to the 3 pieces and address it at a later date, living without anything installed in the interim.

As for the wood, it was glassed over by a previous owner, and the transom door is a 2 piece that was in place when I bought the boat, I removed those pieces to repair pulled screw holes, and some cracks.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    i removed the trim filled the holes and painted. much cleaner look

X2

So happy happy I did that 16 years ago....
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Thanks for the door info, it is an idea that I have been kicking around. I think I would also install a two piece door that opens outward.

Walt Hoover

Question Re: 42C Cockpit Aluminum Trim

Quote Originally Posted by jim rosenthal View Post
    Removed trim, cleaned it up, painted with aluminum colored Imron, also Imron clear, put it back on. Holding up nicely and that was 15 years ago. You will have to replace the wood behind it, though.
    I am also looking into your method of refurbishing the trim on my 36' sedan cruiser. I am wondering afterwards is the look and feel aluminum, and is the method of care now wash and wax? I imagine this is the case, but I am new to imron 'paint'.
    Last have you only done the trim this way (cockpit, fly ridge trim, windshield trim), or larger pieces like flybridge aluminum framing? I am curious as my flybridge wasn't taken great care of by the previous owner. Currently I am using Flitz aluminum polish and and aluma-guard now. This Looks okay, but still has the pitting. Hoping enough coats will eventually remove or lessen the appearance of the pitting. Still unsure about using bronze wool lightly.