Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Fall Adventure

Re: Fall Adventure

We're just going stir crazy. Probably stick to original plan. The guy at Billings is a certified Volvo guy, but hasn't worked on pods. Sounds like he wants to pull it and send it out. We've got some clues that the PO knew it was bad. There were 4 partial bottles of gear oil in the spare box. The data plate is missing from the bum tranny. And the fill cap blew off because it was loose, or not screwed in. In any event, 160 miles and it's toast..Billings is guessing 9k ..just glad it's not my boat...I'll leave the PODS to the progressive crowd, and kiss my twin discs with the "get home" screws.

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    We're just going stir crazy. Probably stick to original plan. The guy at Billings is a certified Volvo guy, but hasn't worked on pods. Sounds like he wants to pull it and send it out. We've got some clues that the PO knew it was bad. There were 4 partial bottles of gear oil in the spare box. The data plate is missing from the bum tranny. And the fill cap blew off because it was loose, or not screwed in. In any event, 160 miles and it's toast..Billings is guessing 9k ..just glad it's not my boat...I'll leave the PODS to the progressive crowd, and kiss my twin discs with the "get home" screws.
    Two boats behind my slip have had multiple transmission problems with Volvo pods. One has replaced a gear almost every season. The other changed one gear last year and the other this year. Both boats have well under 1000 hours. Depending on the issue, sometimes the boat was pulled and others it was done in the water. I know the last one was an entire new transmission and the boat wasn’t hauled. They are notorious for bad seals that leak salt water from the pod to the gear. If that’s a problem then the boat does need to be hauled. Can’t remember the exact amount but I think the rebuilt gear was around 14K. Have your friend check to see if he has plastic belt tensioned for the water pump. They’re another weak spot and Volvo does have an upgrade that fixes that. One of the ones that blew the transmission also blew an engine from an overheat when the tensioner broke. Two other boats in our club had the same ones and upgraded before they had the same issue.
    Last edited by saltshaker; 10-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.
    Jack Sardina

Thanks Jack, you're right on price. 15k quote for a rebuilt exchange. We're hoping it's clutch packs, but we're at the mercy of the Billings Marine folks.. they seem nice, but admittedly don't know pods. Lot of horror stories online about pods.

I feel bad being so right about those boats. I've not know of one to be troublefree. How did the waterwings work out?

Maybe get it on land and truck it down. 2 dumpsters should hold it.

Sorry I can't help myself.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

The great thing about pods is they save a lot of fuel....so those fuel savings can be used to replace all the stuff that breaks DOH!

I/O's are overcomplicated and junk. Who would've thunk a consumer-grade pod drive would've been junk too?!!??

Ships use pods, but it's a totally different animal.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Paul there’s some decent service here and in Long Island NY. My neighbor used a guy from Long Island who really knew Volvo Pods. I know it’s a bit far from you but let me know if you need me to get contact info for you
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    I feel bad being so right about those boats. I've not know of one to be troublefree. How did the waterwings work out?

Maybe get it on land and truck it down. 2 dumpsters should hold it.

Sorry I can't help myself.
    Best laugh we've had in days!😂

Thanks Jack, looking now like Saturday will be our run to Stoneington. If I was on the TenTom, I'd run it, but the Atlantic is proving a different animal. Dodging lobster pots to Billings is about as far as I want to run..

Quote Originally Posted by dottieshusband View Post
    Thanks Jack, looking now like Saturday will be our run to Stoneington. If I was on the TenTom, I'd run it, but the Atlantic is proving a different animal. Dodging lobster pots to Billings is about as far as I want to run..
    I guess you’ll run the sound to the East River and then outside until Delaware Bay to the Chesapeake? You can run in at Manasquan inlet and then out at Barnegat if you’re more comfortable inside. I’m near Sandy Hook in Monmouth Beach NJ. Let me know if you need anything when passing through. Glad to help if I can.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    The great thing about pods is they save a lot of fuel....so those fuel savings can be used to replace all the stuff that breaks DOH!

I/O's are overcomplicated and junk. Who would've thunk a consumer-grade pod drive would've been junk too?!!??

Ships use pods, but it's a totally different animal.
    What do you hear about the zf pods?

I've not seen one here except the quad zeuss and that's kind of not a real life test.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.