Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Just picked up the new stabilizers

Just picked the Trac 250 for my 53... fins, actuators and servos are used but with new seals, serviced and painted. I am ordering the new electronics, touch screen, pump etc

My boat had Vospers mini fins installed in 1970 which nobody could work on and find parts. I was going to just remove the whole system but A couple of months ago, I got a slow leak at a pressure sender on the way back from the Exumas with the 84 lazzara i run. When the technician came over to swap the sender I mentioned the old Vospers and he said they had a couple of used systems in the shop. They made me offer I couldn't refuse !

I like the Trac system, they work well and have modern electronics with touch screen

Now if only the yard would schedule my haul out for the repower! They re swamped with post storm repairs...
    Attached Images
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Re: Just picked up the new stabilizers

Did you look into the gyro stabilizers?

Yeah but it s hard to find room. The generator room is really the only place but I want to keep it open for access or to add a second gen down the line

And this system was a fraction of the cost of a gyro
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I'm surprised there would be a used systems available. You will be happy once you turn them on for the first time in beam a sea.

Tall boats really benefit. Good luck with the install.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Pascal, I am looking at installing the same ABT 250 stabilizers in my 61' CPMY. What size Fins did you get? I understand that they do not use mahogany blocks for the inner support, what was used instead? How long did the install take.
    Cheers, Rourke

They came with alum spacers fitted to each bolt but we didn’t use them. I had the whole area outside the stringers reinforced and built up with glass.

Don’t recall the fin size... they re much bigger than the original mini fins
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Pascal-

Where did you manage to find a used system? I've been searching for sometime myself without much luck.

Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL

From the local Trac installer. See my first post in the thread
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Sorry... did not even see that in the first post.... sent you a PM...Thanks!
    JD
    1976 58' LRC Hull #311
    "Miss Maggie"
    Riviera Dunes, FL