Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Good cruise speed for an 85 45c?

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoop View Post
    At 2100rpm with no slippage the speed is 35.29K and you are getting 20K that's 44% slippage you have a bottom or weight load issue. That number should be around 20%. Doesn't take much on a prop to kill your speed.
    Good Luck

Today I met with the guy that worked on the props for the previous owner. They are custom modified for more RPM and less load. Had to jog his memory a bit, but he recalled engine heat, cargo load, high water temps as reason for the reduction. Since I run light and don't need a full water tank, I should be able to run with the stock props.

I'll update once I get the props changed. Either by a diver or when the haul out spots open up and I can get it in for a bottom job. Yards have been slammed since the hurricane.

Re: Good cruise speed for an 85 45c?

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoop View Post
    I'll assume you have the original 26x28 three blade props. In my case WOT made 27K when all things were right (that means almost never). And easily cruse at 22/23K. Once the engines are at operating temp. push to WOT for 3-4 min. then back off 400rpm that should be your cruise speed.
    Out of curiosity which way do your motors spin? Looking at the front of the motors from bow to stern, port is counter clockwise, starboard is clockwise. This is a more stable, but typically slower configuration. Reversing this can lead to more stern lift, so curious if there were different running configurations for this model. The DD 6v92's can run either direction, but if I'm thinking correct, at least the fresh water pump and starter are directional, as well as the plumbing on the raw water. So reversing rotation isn't a trivial task. Anyway just curious as I know rotation greatly affects hull dynamics.

Hope ya don't mind the questions, I'm generally just curious.