Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Good cruise speed for an 85 45c?

Vessel is still new to me, only have a few hours with it so far.

Feels like it's running a little wet and struggling at 16-17 knots ~1900 RPM, 3/4 tank (500gal cap) without any trim tab usage. Idle speed is about 4 knots.

550 HP / 6v92's and no idea what props. Engines run super clean, no smoke and start without any loping.

It will reach full RPM under way easily, but have only done that on the sea trial.

Bottom is clean, although ready for a repaint.

Just fixed the trim tab pump and next trip will see if they help the wet and struggling feel any.

In the mean time figured I would ask and see where my expectations should be.

Re: Good cruise speed for an 85 45c?

Try bringing the throttles up to 2100 rpm or so and then bring it down to your desired cruise rpm. 1950 rpm might be about right. Have tabs up, then play with tab settings to settle in.

Does the boat have a tower? What gears are u running? Get the boat in deap water and run it wide open for a minute or two. It won't hurt it. With a clean bottom I would think it would cruise at 20knts pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by dsharp View Post
    Does the boat have a tower? What gears are u running? Get the boat in deap water and run it wide open for a minute or two. It won't hurt it. With a clean bottom I would think it would cruise at 20knts pretty easily.
    No tower, Allison M15's, 2:1 Gear I believe.

Allison M15 = 1.5 gear ratioAllison M20 = 2.0 gear ration

Quote Originally Posted by Pacblue View Post
    Allison M15 = 1.5 gear ratioAllison M20 = 2.0 gear ration
    That makes sense.

Waiting for weather now.