Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Sealant on gasket for starter on 8v71?

What is the preferred sealant for the gasket on a starter, or do you prefer no sealant and just go with the gasket. Also, would the same sealant be used on the oil pan if a sealant is preferred?
    Thanks!

Re: Sealant on gasket for starter on 8v71?

I would use the gasket, wiggling the starter into place may displace the sealant.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

On my upper and lower oil pan, I used Permatex Permashield..great product. On a starter motor, I usually don't use a sealant other than to hold a gasket in place.

Thanks for the replies. Everything I have taken off of this engine seems to have a blue rtv as well as a gasket. As either smith or boatsb said, trying to use the right sealant for the job. Thanks again.

In most cases at the factory no sealant is used.
    GLORY Hull # 365
    Northport, NY

Yes thank you, I’m debating that. It’s just that everything I took off of the old engine had blue rtv. This being a new block though the mating surface is perfect. Maybe I will forgo the sealant.

One of the most common DDA oil leak areas.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

In a previous life as an auto mechanic I favored this product when assembling VW and Porsche engine cases that did not use a gasket between the split crankcase halves. I found it easy to apply and effective in sealing. https://www.amazon.com/Gasgacinch-44...rds=gasgacinch