Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advise..source for claw type anchor and 1 inch dock line

In looking at previous posts here, it appears a bruce claw anchor is one of the best at holding in all conditions. My question is that there are many different manufactures of this type of anchor. Which would you suggest and where do I order it from? The next question is about dock line. Looking for 1 inch unless you experts think 3/4 inch is good enough...and the best cost source please. The boat is 60ft and 93k lbs. Anchor size?? 110lb?
    Thanks

Re: Advise..source for claw type anchor and 1 inch dock line

Lee mar makes them and they re good. There is a company called Northstar I think that makes them but they re galvanized isn't as good. I had a 176lbs on a 70 i ran and it got rusty after 2 or 3 years.

The 110lbs should be fine on a 60 footer. That s what I had on the 70 skylounge before upgrading to the 176. The 100 held good till 40ks then would slowly drag. The 176 held us firm in a 70 kts derecho in the Exumas

3/4 "will fine I d rather use thinner lines for regular use and have a set of nice heavy storm lines that not being burned up or worn
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Lewmar now makes a Bruce anchor knock off at about 1/3 the price of an original Bruce. My understanding is Bruce’s patent expired and that is why the cheaper knock offs. I have had both and both seem to work just fine. 110 lbs is what you want. If you order online the freight will kill you. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.

I see West Marine ships for free to your local store.....hate to buy anything from them though!

Also take a look at the SuperMax adjustable anchor. These are great in mud and sand. It takes some effort to get them through grass.

Bobk

What’s your windlass set up to run?
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Ideal BHW 1000 110v 3/8 inch chain currently has a Fortress 55 attached to it. Previous owner of 15 yrs never used it. Currently goes up great but won’t drop. Being repaired over this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    Ideal BHW 1000 110v 3/8 inch chain currently has a Fortress 55 attached to it. Previous owner of 15 yrs never used it. Currently goes up great but won’t drop. Being repaired over this winter.
    My CQR has been great in mud and sand. I don’t use line at the bow but 2350 of chain. 3/4 should be plenty for a stern anchor in my opinion.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Lee mar makes them and they re good. There is a company called Northstar I think that makes them but they re galvanized isn't as good. I had a 176lbs on a 70 i ran and it got rusty after 2 or 3 years.

The 110lbs should be fine on a 60 footer. That s what I had on the 70 skylounge before upgrading to the 176. The 100 held good till 40ks then would slowly drag. The 176 held us firm in a 70 kts derecho in the Exumas

3/4 "will fine I d rather use thinner lines for regular use and have a set of nice heavy storm lines that not being burned up or worn
    Hay Pascal is that the same a plow anchor. Looks like a plow we use at the farm behind the tractor??

Now, plows are like the delta anchor. The cqr is like a plow but articulated

The bruce aka claw is more like a scoop. It can dig in nicely and holds veery well. Problem with plows, deltas or car is that while they will dig better in grass, they dont hold well in soft mud.

While they may be anchors with better holdign power in some bottoms, i find the bruce to be an excellent all around anchor. I used it from cape cod to great exuma and we anchor about 120/150 times a year
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat