Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Is SSB still a useful electronic

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Most offshore guys use them for relaying fishing info. Plus VHF is useless more than 20 mi offshore
    Useless?? Did you say useless? Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired on this one. I put a 200 watt amplifier on the VHF aboard my old SeaRay 30 years ago. When I got to Wrightsville Beach one summer they told me they heard me talking to a marina back on Isle of Palms (Charleston) hours earlier. Had to be bouncing off the ionosphere or something. I'm glad I wired a switch into the power supply. I think the antenna must have glowed in the dark from the way that voltmeter headed south. Nobody, but nobody stepped on me. What fun.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Useless?? Did you say useless? Hopefully the statute of limitations has expired on this one. I put a 200 watt amplifier on the VHF aboard my old SeaRay 30 years ago. When I got to Wrightsville Beach one summer they told me they heard me talking to a marina back on Isle of Palms (Charleston) hours earlier. Had to be bouncing off the ionosphere or something. I'm glad I wired a switch into the power supply. I think the antenna must have glowed in the dark from the way that voltmeter headed south. Nobody, but nobody stepped on me. What fun.
    VHF is line of site. You could have a million watt linear it wouldn’t matter.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

But in an airplane....
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I copied a HAM I know at an audio site, his reply... While VHF FM is inexpensive and great for quality communications on the water with nearby boats or shore based VHF setups, HF SSB is a better choice for the high seas where other boats and the shore might be hundreds of miles away. I'm not a boater but I know how HF and VHF propagation differ.There are HF SSB digital modes (sitor, amtor, packtor, winlink, shipcom, etc) and services that provide email or chat-like communication over the air. The commercial services charge a fee while HAM radio operators will often use Winlink. Winlink is tied to the internet by shore based stations and the system allows email exchanges between a boater on the high seas and family and friends on land.And of course there's always HF SSB voice communications.There are also satellite phone based services via Iridium, Inmarsat, Globalstar, but these can be pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hatt Craig View Post
    The commercial services charge a fee while HAM radio operators will often use Winlink. Winlink is tied to the internet by shore based stations and the system allows email exchanges between a boater on the high seas and family and friends on land.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like this is not secure and a great way to send your SSN to the prince in Algeria.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

I'm sure its safe Krush. No one woukd take advantage of a sailboater all alone in a foreign country.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Do you still need a license to operate them?
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    VHF is line of site. You could have a million watt linear it wouldn’t matter.
    Right, but it happened. Sometimes things just do. That day they just did.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Do you still need a license to operate them?
    SSH yes.

VHF should but not always needed.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

You are required to have a ships station license that actually covers all electronics that broadcast a signal which includes VHF, SSB, and even radar, but a lot of people don’t even bother with the license and still use these electronics. The Gov’t does not have the resources to enforce this regulation. John
    Mahalo V
    1974 53 Motoryacht
    Hull Number 406
    San Diego, Ca. Ready 32 Nordic Tug, Brunswick Ga.