Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Raymarine Pathfinder Radar question

Good evening all!
    I have a Raymarine Pathfiner 2 kw Radar coupled to R70 and RC530 Plus displays.
    These units work very well and have for many years, except for a new motor required and installed in the enclosed radome last year. It worked great after that.
    My Problem is this: the scanner is turning in the radome, but there are no echoes being returned to the displays. All they show are the distance circles. The 2 displays work great aside from that.
    I have tried some trouble shooting but to no avail thus far.
    Any thoughts on why there are no echoes being returned? Where should I look?
    My thanks to you all,
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Re: Raymarine Pathfinder Radar question

My guess is it's not transmitting. May be the scanner be a just worn out. The magnetron is not a perpetual source of microwaves.

It's at least 15 years old and probably not worth fixing again.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Hi Boatsb.
    You may be right. I will try to find a magnetron and see where we go from there.
    I did some trouble shooting by restoring defaults etc. All to no avail.

The hunt for a fix continues.
    Sailor John
    Sailor John
    Mad Hatter
    38' Double Cabin Flybridge

Had the same problem a few years back on a Raytheon. Had an electronics guy take a look and it was sending signal just not receiving signal. Turned out to be a couple hundred dollar fix. Hope this helps
    1984 Hurley 36 Express sold
    1974 46C series I sold
    1984 46HP series II

In general magnetrons wear over time. When they start to fail you’ll need to keep increasing the gain to get targets. Sometimes you get returns on very short ranges but not over 3 miles or so. With A/C and RAIN all the way down and the gain all the way up are you still seeing nothing but range rings?