Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying

Quote Originally Posted by motoryacht lover View Post
    I am having the fuel pumps sent off in a month and that will cost between 7000-12000 each depending on what is needed.
    7-12K for 10 cylinder P pumps?!?! Holy cr@p, I'm in the wrong business.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying Time

Its the FedEx cost that's so expensive.

The pumps are only 2 grand.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    After you mentioned this, I found the article...never knew a plastic surgeon owned so much boat stuff!

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/b...ca5622646.html
    The Topaz was dezined and tested by the son of Trumpie Boat workes Don Trumpie Graduate of the naval academy and a very particular person. The 36 open was quite a sharp boat in its day and a good sea boat.
    Kinda fast for its size. The 28 29 was a good open fishing boat with the volvo TAMD it was a 29 knot boat in the mid 80. Don and Pat gave it a good try but being under financed could not make it work.
    Those molds would probable not be out of date eaven today. Seems there were a lot of fiber glass screw on panels on both and the glass work was far from a quality job.

The price of these MANsplaning services could buy an entire engine of a different flavor.
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

After you mentioned this, I found the article...never knew a plastic surgeon owned so much boat stuff!

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/b...ca5622646.html
    All those fake boobs in Atlantic City add up. And then there’s Snooki
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

The price of these MANsplaning services could buy an entire engine of a different flavor.
    I have a cousin that had a viking with mans. While it ran well when it ran he made several trips from NC to Florida decided the boat for him was a cabin boat.
    Put the thing up for sale and had to pay almost 20,000 for some maintenance to sell it. He sold it at our small mariner or at least the new owner picked it up there.
    Cuz was a happy boater tried to sell it during the slow down. He did admit the engines were a deterent to the sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Was quoted $15,500 for both engines, about $4,000 is the labor, from Ransome in NJ.
    They thought the labor would come in at less than the quote.
    They told me one man should be able to bang it out in 1 day if they don't run into issues.
    That's why I always have someone on hand to help and handle the "issues".
    Had another quote, just the parts, was 16k from our friends in Beaufort.
    Think the replacement coolers are what was being used on C15 and the current lower hp C18 version????
    Thanks. Foley quoted 26K
    Last edited by saltshaker; 10-17-2017 at 08:55 AM.
    Jack Sardina

I am reading all of these posts on the cost of the MAN service. While I know that no engine is without potential problems, I hear very little about service costs on Detroits, MTU's, and CATS. I also find it interesting in the market, the Detroits sell for much less than the CATS, and the MANS seem to be no deterrent to high prices if the service has been done. So with all of this information, I wonder whether the smartest move is just to avoid MANS, and either buy CATS (at a premium) or Detroits at a discount? While the market is light right now, there have usually been several 65 HATs with 1692's. They are discounted based on condition to go in the low to mid 3's. The CAT boats in the 65 appear to sell for anywhere from 425K and up. Ruling out MAN boats puts a serious crimp into my plan to look at 58 Vikings and Oceans as well. But, forewarned is forearmed.

The service for all of the newer big diesels is steep. MAN seems to be at the top for cost. The 10cyl and 12 cyl MANs will be in most of the Vikings you'd be interested in and some of the Oceans. These were very problematic engines that were prone to catastrophic failures resulting in engines needing to be replaced. MAN addressed the major issues and most of these engines are fine today but they come with some significant required service. The MTUs are pricey to fix but don't have the heavy service intervals of the MANs. The MTU's big service is at 5000 hours. Cats have similar required service to the MTUs but generally a bit cheaper. The Cat 1000 hour and 2000 hour services are no where near as expensive or intensive as the MANs. Cat is now recommending replacing the aftercoolers and exhaust components every 6 years or 1000 hours but it's more of a CYA recommendation than a requirement.
    Jack Sardina

the big thing with CAT after coolers is some are raw water cooled and some jacket water cooled . Obviously the RW type will fail and cause you to drop a valve or two, the jacket water cooled type are not a problem and from what I have been told do not need to be removed for testing or replaced on any set maintenance interval............Pat