Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying Time

The Ocean I sea trialed was a 62, 2000 or 2002 model year if I remember correctly.

I'll vouch for the quality of the new (2005) 50's I've worked on.

As for the sun coming through the hull. Hatt added a black layer to stop that . It's not the thickness of the glass as much as the coatings used to block light.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Ocean was really trying to bring both the designs and quality up when John Leek III started taking control. Unfortunately the rest of the family was not interested in sticking their necks out when the economy went bad to keep building and also develop new models like what Viking was able to do. Unfortunately John III took a huge gamble on the Makaira project which ended up being a big big mistake. Ira Trocki owns the Ocean molds now along with the molds for Buddy Davis, Topaz, Predator, Egg Harbor, Silverton, etc. Viking bought Ocean's facility and is now building boats 50 feet and under at that location which is being run by John Leek III.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

The 2000 hour service will vary depending on which engine you’re talking about. Figure 15-20K for MANs in the range of boats you’re looking at. Cat now recommends doing the aftercoolers every six years, a friend was just quoted 20K for new ones and some misc service on a pair of 3406E. Another friend just found out that that his previous boat had an engine failure from a bad aftercoolers. 3406E with about 1000 hours. They also recommend new heads, injectors and exhaust components but rarely does than need to be done so soon and I don’t recall if that was also every six years. The MANs are prone to failures if the maintenance schedules aren’t followed as there are some weak points that can cause catastrophic failures. If you can get a credit and have the work done that would be a good option providing the engines aren’t suffering from lack of maintenance. Keep in mind that those maintenance schedules are for a set number of hours or number of years so an engine with 1000 hours can be overdue for a 2000 hour service.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    The 2000 hour service will vary depending on which engine you’re talking about. Figure 15-20K for MANs in the range of boats you’re looking at. Cat now recommends doing the aftercoolers every six years, a friend was just quoted 20K for new ones and some misc service on a pair of 3406E. Another friend just found out that that his previous boat had an engine failure from a bad aftercoolers. 3406E with about 1000 hours. They also recommend new heads, injectors and exhaust components but rarely does than need to be done so soon and I don’t recall if that was also every six years. The MANs are prone to failures if the maintenance schedules aren’t followed as there are some weak points that can cause catastrophic failures. If you can get a credit and have the work done that would be a good option providing the engines aren’t suffering from lack of maintenance. Keep in mind that those maintenance schedules are for a set number of hours or number of years so an engine with 1000 hours can be overdue for a 2000 hour service.
    I was quoted $20K for the 2,000 hour on a pair of Mans back in 2015 (Post 50'). The owner claimed they were coming due for the service. A cursory check of the hour meters and some shrugs said they were well past due. Pass
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

The high cost for 3406E new after coolers is because the new cores do not fit in the original housings, the housing cost as much as the cores. Unfortunately the old style cores are no longer available, believe me I've tried. Just had 3406E 1,000 hr service, valve lash, after cooler cleaning, HE cleaning (raw water side acid flush), belts, coolant sampled and okay, some other little things. No head or injector stuff. We clean our after coolers every year anyway to make sure the neck, where the issues occur, does not become corroded to the flange, lots of grease needed..
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Ira Trocki owns the Ocean molds now along with the molds for Buddy Davis, Topaz, Predator, Egg Harbor, Silverton, etc. Viking bought Ocean's facility and is now building boats 50 feet and under at that location which is being run by John Leek III.
    After you mentioned this, I found the article...never knew a plastic surgeon owned so much boat stuff!

Dr. Ira Trocki, The Egg Harbor Group’s owner, said his company is buying “the name, the engineering, the molds, the customer list” of Ocean Yachts, adding later that the purchase includes everything “except the building and the liability.”
    http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/b...ca5622646.html
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    The high cost for 3406E new after coolers is because the new cores do not fit in the original housings, the housing cost as much as the cores. Unfortunately the old style cores are no longer available, believe me I've tried. Just had 3406E 1,000 hr service, valve lash, after cooler cleaning, HE cleaning (raw water side acid flush), belts, coolant sampled and okay, some other little things. No head or injector stuff. We clean our after coolers every year anyway to make sure the neck, where the issues occur, does not become corroded to the flange, lots of grease needed..
    What was the cost and how much for the new aftercoolers installed? A friend is heading down this road right now
    Jack Sardina

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying

On my 10 cyl 820 hp mans my 1000 hr service is 14,000-18,000. That would be with all rebuilt injectors. Not just replacing the ones that aren’t “spraying” right. I am having the fuel pumps sent off in a month and that will cost between 7000-12000 each depending on what is needed. Also I am pretty sure they check the compression and borescope the cylinders. If the boat your are looking at has MANs I would get a good MAN specific mechanic to look them over. Bayside in Mystic, CT is very good. Kevin Jackson in SC is excellent. Ace in Hampton, VA and Vero Beach is OK. Although I think it depends a lot on the tech you get. Find out if the torsional dampers have been replaced. That was 25K for both engines with the silicon ones. I believe the raw water pumps are 1200 each. If the oil coolers are aluminum you will want to replace them. They had issues with the gasket between the cooler and block and also the thermal expansion of the aluminum cooler against the cast iron block created a problem where it would dump the oil before the alarm could catch it. I won’t be able to explain this properly but the 1000 hr service should be done no later than every 3 years because something on the heat exchanger can deteriorate to the point that you have to buy a new heat exchanger which I hear is 30K. So if someone has not done the service in 5 years or so I would want a MAN mechanic to look things over before closing. Hope this helps.

Was quoted $15,500 for both engines, about $4,000 is the labor, from Ransome in NJ.
    They thought the labor would come in at less than the quote.
    They told me one man should be able to bang it out in 1 day if they don't run into issues.
    That's why I always have someone on hand to help and handle the "issues".
    Had another quote, just the parts, was 16k from our friends in Beaufort.
    Think the replacement coolers are what was being used on C15 and the current lower hp C18 version????
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns