Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying Time

Well folks, as of tomorrow, my 43 Open will be under contract. So, my search for a boat to replace it for use up North will begin. I hope to prevail upon the fine members of the HOF to assist in this effort and to provide the sage advice I have come to really appreciate. It also means I might be asking some dumb questions. My general goal is to get a mid 90's boat, preferably a Hatteras, Bertram, Viking or perhaps an Ocean for very light fishing and a lot of time relaxing. I hope to get an enclosed bridge and a full beam master in a Sportfish style boat. So, here goes with some novice questions since I have never owned anything but a MY.

Does an enclosed bridge offer the same allure if there is no inside stairway to it?
    Does a recently overhauled boat offer more or less reliability than one with say 2K hours.
    Is a CAT boat worth more to me for my 50 hours per year and their increased price tag than a Detroit or MAN boat?
    And, given the light use I envision for cruising but substantial dock time, mean "lesser" brands like Oceans etc. are in play?

Thinking about the 55-60 ish size range.

As always, your help is most appreciated.

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying Time

Can we have a hint on what the budget is?
    Is an enclosed bridge mandatory?
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

I've done significant work upgrading a few 50 oceans. 2 of them 2005 models that I upgraded electronics and AV systems. For a comfortable family friendly boat that's easy to run and maintain I'd suggest lower HP versions like c12 or even series 60. The c18 one I worked on was a bit harder to get around inside the engine room but it do do 40.

Overall it's not a hatteras but for value and the wife factor they seem great overall vessels.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Wife factor here is key. Almost dock condo or dock queen usage anticipated. Light cruising, inside waters, bottom fishing in Long Island Sound.

Call me if I can be helpful. One of my best friends is a local broker who is quite good at finding gems in a rough market.

I'm not a convert BUT I have to give credit to the designers of that 50 as it's one of the best layouts in its class.

My buddy bought this one earlier this summer.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2005...s#.Wd_vtp8pCBY
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks Scott. Working with the broker in North Palm who sold me my 74. He is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
    Can we have a hint on what the budget is?
    Is an enclosed bridge mandatory?
    Budget is flexible. Condition is not.