Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Re: Let the Fun Begin- It's Buying Time

Quote Originally Posted by northshoreone View Post
    Nice boat. I am sending you a pm.

Saw lots of boats yesterday. Just trying to eliminate models. Many were in poor condition. For reasons unique to our intended use, sadly, we eliminated Bertram and Hatteras from our list. Too much cockpit and not enough salon or less than desireable master. We also eliminated the Viking 60 cpmy. My wife really liked the 56 Ocean but did not like the look of that boat with an enclosed bridge. It is too small to have such a high enclosed bridge. I agree. We were unable to see any 58 Vikings. That was a disappointment because it is clearly on the short list. The two Oceans in the running look nice. One has 1050 Mans and the other Series 60 MTU's. The Man boat is very, very nice inside and has had the most recent 1000 service now with 2800 hours. I hate to ask a really silly question but how leary should I be of those Mans even with a recent 100 hour service?

Is there a 3k hour service coming up or did you mean they already did it?

If you have 1000 hours or x years to the next major service you should be ok for a while but resale may be effected. The Detroit series 60 are solid engines
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Thanks. I think the recent 1K service was for 3,000 hours but will check.

And find out if there a 3500 or 4000 hour service and what it should cost.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

I wouldn’t buy a boat with 1050HP MANs. It will be hard to sell and they are very problematic. Never met an owner who liked them. The 56 Ocean is great from an interior standpoint but I doubt you’ll be happy with the ride and build quality. Enclosed bridge is just an aluminum enclosure on the standard bridge. Look at a 62 if you want the enclosed bridge. Much better boat overall and a real nice layout. 3 stateroom boats are less popular so you may be able to find a deal on one. Did you look at a Hatteras 60C or 65C?
    Jack Sardina

Jack, if he buys it right based on the man's and his estimated low use is it still such a resale issue?
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Command decision made today. Despite being a beautiful boat, my broker, whom I trust, told me NOT to buy the MAN boat with high hours.

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I wouldn’t buy a boat with 1050HP MANs. It will be hard to sell and they are very problematic. Never met an owner who liked them. The 56 Ocean is great from an interior standpoint but I doubt you’ll be happy with the ride and build quality. Enclosed bridge is just an aluminum enclosure on the standard bridge. Look at a 62 if you want the enclosed bridge. Much better boat overall and a real nice layout. 3 stateroom boats are less popular so you may be able to find a deal on one. Did you look at a Hatteras 60C or 65C?
    We saw a 4 stateroom 65C in fairly poor shape. We had been advised that it was clean. It was not. Also, in all candor, I think it's just too much boat for our intended use.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    And find out if there a 3500 or 4000 hour service and what it should cost.
    What does the 3500 to 4000 hour service cost on your Detroit’s?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present