Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Insurance

Re: Insurance

That boat was at Hillsboro inlet. It beat itself to death against the dock for the entire storm. Pure insanity that it was left there for the storm. Its people like that that drive prices up for the rest of us. I was there for the righting by TowBoatUS.
    Attached Images
    Thanks,

Tony

2008 Cheoy Lee Bravo 78 "Bella Sophia"
    1989 78' Hatteras CPMY #311 "Bella Sophia" (sold)
    2007 Everglades 290cc “Bada Bing” (sold)
    2006 Advanced Outdoors 28cc (sold)
    2003 Melges 24 "Bada Bing" (sold)
    2023 HCB 42 “Bada Bing”

We have temporarily paused our boat hunt until the new insurance rates are fully out. Could be a lot of new listings on the market. The boats posted that were destroyed certainly did not comply with an acceptable hurricane plan and may not be covered. Happens all over Fl, many boats left vulnerable to storms whether intentional or not affecting our insurance rates.

My insurance got to over $4000 nearly 20 years ago for 100k on the hull. I’m way ahead at this point. You guys have been getting away way too cheap now it’s time to pay the piper. It’s bad news again for these old boat prices as you need the insurance to finance them. Pay cash and go bare bones.
    We’re not the only ones the last several Dr’s I went to had signs and disclaimer forms that they had no malpractice insurance. My AME and this is the FAA guy that does my aviation medical added “ if you want to sue me you can have my house car office and alimony payments to my ex wife”
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by tonytrakovich View Post
    That boat was at Hillsboro inlet. It beat itself to death against the dock for the entire storm. Pure insanity that it was left there for the storm. Its people like that that drive prices up for the rest of us. I was there for the righting by TowBoatUS.
    With the glut of mega yachts that have been built over the last 20 years I’ve been wondering when we would start seeing these older ones becoming derelicts. I’ve heard there is a significant number of these big white elephants in Lauderdale that don’t even run just get towed from place to place.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

That hatt was far from being neglected, it had been recently upgraded with new electronics and other work according to a captain on another forum Once you get into the 70/80' range most underwriters require a full time captain; if that was the case there was really no excuse for not moving her to safety
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

They should not pay on the loss because they did not meet a basic level of preparedness and use common sense.

Mr Smith and I posted pictures of how we tied side to kind of in a similar situation and had no damage although the wind and waves beat us pretty good.

I bet they didn't even put anchors out to help bold the boat off the dock.

The insurance companies seem to be too easy on these people but woukd be all over me and others for small stuff.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Awful lot of speculation as to what was or should have been done. None of us know the details of how the boat was prepped and the specific conditions affecting the owner or crew.
    Jack Sardina

Speculation? True to some extent and maybe the boat was suddenly disabled... otherwise there are things you don't do during hurricane season like scheduling any maintenance which may disable the boat, keeping fuel low or traveling away from the boat... down here you have to take things seriously. A week before Irma we were in the berrys about to come back and as soon as Irma formed I left a VM on the fuel delivery phone to schedule a delivery the first day after we got back. By Thursday peolple here were scrambling to get diesel for their boats...

It s common sense. Which ain't so common anymore
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    Awful lot of speculation as to what was or should have been done. None of us know the details of how the boat was prepped and the specific conditions affecting the owner or crew.
    Maybe not that one but there were plenty in my are that were left to die in the storm because they were not tied up well. Of all the boats in my area only the poorly tied sank or sustained manor damage. A friend had A 115 foot boat side tied to dock and deployed anchors hold it off the dock. It had minor damage but survived. My buddy's 44 Chris my had 4 anchors holding it off his dock. No damage. I had 10 anchors and no damage. My neighbor sank his sailboat that he 3 line to tye dock. And nothing else. I winder why it sank.

Sadly the ones who decided to sell their boats to the insurance company will be paid and we get to fund them.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

That 92 hatteras I think has been for sale along time.