Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hose recommendations

I am in need of replacing all the bilge pump hoses as they are hard and brittle. I am not a fan of the cheap corrugated hose,was considering an EPDM hose due to flexibility and ruggedness. Has anyone used this type of hose? Any recommendations with longevity as primary goal

Re: Hose recommendations

Never heard of it. The cheap white corrugated stuff is trash. I ve been using shield series 141 multiflex black and clear hoses, it s but stiff but pretty strong

I ve replaced pretty much all the original grey hoses for bilges and drain, they almost fall apart when moved
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Been using this stuff for years without issue, like the smooth exterior and won't kink. Trident VAC Extra Heavy Duty Sanitation Hose. Used to be available in black, not sure if black is still available.
    CRICKET
    1966 HAT50C101
    Purchased 1985 12v71Ns
    Repowered 1989 with 8v92TI
    Repowered 2001 with 3406E

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Never heard of it. The cheap white corrugated stuff is trash. I ve been using shield series 141 multiflex black and clear hoses, it s but stiff but pretty strong

I ve replaced pretty much all the original grey hoses for bilges and drain, they almost fall apart when moved
    I was attempting to replace the drain in my fish box and the hose snapped about 8" back from the end, cant even bend the hoses they are so petrified.

ethylene propylene diene monomer (M-class) rubber (EPDM) exhibits satisfactory compatibility with fireproof hydraulic fluids, ketones, hot and cold water, and alkalis and exhibits unsatisfactory compatibility with most oils, gasoline, kerosene, aromatic and aliphatic hydrocarbons, halogenated solvents, and concentrated acids.

The main properties of EPDM are its outstanding heat, ozone, and weather resistance. The resistance to polar substances and steam are also good. It has excellent electrical insulating properties. It has good resistance to ketones, ordinary diluted acids, and alkalies.

Oil and hydrocarbons will get in there once in a while. If its not compatible with oily bilge water I'd avoid it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Oil and hydrocarbons will get in there once in a while. If its not compatible with oily bilge water I'd avoid it.
    oh for Pete's sake, how did I miss that? Would never have asked had I read that CORRECTLY

I used trident 147 hose. I like it becouse it's smooth and not corigated like the 141.
    Pete. 1980 53 my. #575

The trident 144 is a heavier wall version of the 141. Substantially heavier

How about high quality garden hose? lol
    FTFD... i drive a slow 1968 41c381

Quote Originally Posted by Toolsntoys View Post
    I used trident 147 hose. I like it becouse it's smooth and not corigated like the 141.

The 141 is smooth inside
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat