Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hatteras 52 MY's

Planning to look at a 52 Cpmy and 52 Sportdeck my. They look the same with the exception of the cockpit vs swim platform and roomy for a 52 footer. Not sure I have ever seen one, is there anything we need to look for such as any common issues? The cockpit looks small but appeals to us because of always owning a SF and maybe rudder/steering access.

Re: Hatteras 52 MY's

Its a 48 MY with a juliet balcony for a cockpit.

Its not a sportfish in ride or room. very comfortable with 2 queens if memory serves.

BEDS, Randy. lets not talk about your plans for tomorrow.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Scott, not sure what to expect on the ride. Sea trialed two MY's in the last year in calm water and they all ride good in the ICW. An article said these models have a planning hull, not semi-displacement.

I've been on a few running and at the dock.

I'd be thinking about the use as a factor.

Bobk cruises the ICW and anchors out a lot. He's a good source of information. My take was I'd not fish it or run in the trough. It's not a convertible.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Our use will be cruising, anchoring, and extended live aboard. Possibly staying onboard for a few months at a time...a floating condo. Appears to have plenty of room for two plus another couple. Like the larger staterooms being at bow and stern. I would think most my's of like design are bad in the trough.

That's a good read on it. It's a good live aboard and coastal cruiser. Pick your offshore days well and you'll find it comfortable.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

We have enjoyed our 1997 52CMY for 14 years now, using it mostly on the Great Lakes, though we
    have also done two Great Loops with her. It's a very comfortable boat, though a bit wet in big seas.
    We figure we have put about 24,000 miles under her keel. The cockpit is really useful is for docking
    and doing locks.

Feel free to contact me for info about the 48MY. I've had it 11 years, 30,000+ miles, lots of anchoring etc. It was almost a year round home until 2010. It's a great boat for the purpose. 1.4 smpg @ 8.3 kt, stabilized, and self sufficient with a Victron inverter.

Bobk

Thanks for the info. We did look at a 1998 52 sport deck, nice layout and great back porch. The ER was tight. Agree the cockpit would be much better for docking and dinghy. Still looking.

I just bought my second Hatteras, first one was a 53 and my wife was not crazy about being down in the galley underway. This is a 1996 50ft. Sport Deck and other than needing a little TLC and updating seems to be just what WE were looking for. From what I have noticed she rides a little bow heavy and only carries 1/4 inch chain for the 35lb. anchor. I have ordered a new Gally main head for 3/8 and plan on putting 200 ft. of all chain on the new 66lb. anchor. Has anyone changed out the refrigerator in the galley? I replaced the one on the 53 when I rebuilt the galley and had the choice of cutting a hole in the roof or sawsall the refrigerator and replacing with smaller one. Cutting the refrig wasn't so bad! Any comments on running speed of general advice would (most likely) be appreciated. Since I have been boating for over seventy years and this is boat number 36 I have learned a lot over the years but always like to listen.
    Thanks