Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

The good, the bad, the ugly

Took delivery of my first hat yesterday a 1980 61' wide body now named "Hidden Gem". Ran 4 hours to my home port with main engines (12 71's) and both gens, and most systems running awesome. This is a northern boat and I knowingly bought the boat winterized. Pressurized the fresh water system and you guessed it, I have some leaks. Port side pilot house door trim and the overhead area above the guest stateroom are where this gets ugly. The headliners are old, but in pretty good shape. Looking for advice on how to remove the headliner, (without destroying it), to search out my plumbing issues. I plan to feed the system with air and go to work on it. Also have both my A/C water pumps appear to be locked up from non use. Enough for day one. I love this site and thank all for sharing there knowledge and advice. PJ61

Re: The good, the bad, the ugly

I've got a similar model... Leak in the guest stateroom ceiling... I'm galley up, check under the sink.. Port side door pillar, check under the windshield cowl, from the flybridge access, look at the line for the windshield washers. Water (rain)from leaks around the flybridge (control station) will also migrate down that pilothouse door pillar into the ceiling above the aft guest stateroom.

Congratulations!!!

Welcome to the funny farm.

Jon

PS - Don't worry, your boat will tell you everything it needs and then some.
    Jonathan Brein
    1982 43' DCFB #550
    "Paragon"
    Chesapeake, Virginia

Congratulations and and welcome. You will love this site. Everyone is willing to help with questions and issues. Add some photos when you get a chance.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

PS, if your boat is like mine, 7 heat pumps, you probably have 2 Orberdorfer M109's, 120v, but can be configured as 220 if that's what you have. Depco pump is a good source. I wouldn't assume the pumps are bad. Of course there is a breaker in the panel for each pump, and additionally, on my boat at least, there is also a master switch on the pump relay boxes... So, thru hulls open, panel switches on, pump relay master switch on, cruisair unit on in panel and thermostat, and the pump kicks on. If they still don't come on.. there is a relay called a TRIAC that offends goes bad. Before I'd give up on the pumps, I'd direct wire them to a 120v source to see if they worked. They're about a boat buck a piece (1k)
    Last edited by dottieshusband; 04-02-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Think a bout painting the headliners, if they are not Ultrasuede. If they are that vinyl perforated material, you can paint them and that will hold you for a while.

I know of no way to get the perforated headliner down without destroying it. If it is original, then its 38 years old and quite fragile. I bought new perforated vinyl from Defenders - not terribly expensive. I then made panels out of 1/4" lauan plywood and applied the vinyl to them with spray adhesive. A little teak trim to cover the seams and it looks fine. They can also be removed to do any wiring or other investigation you need.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau