Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil changes

Re: Oil changes

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I buy Shell Rotells 40 from Amazon for $94 a 5 ga bucket, shipped. They also have 3 ga boxes. They also have Chevron Delo 400 40 for $102/5 ga shipped.George
    400 is wrong oil for two strokers. The Rotella is T1 for their low ash product. $68/5 gal. net Delo 100, but that’s a friend deal. DD branded at WW Williams for $88. Got to ask them for the price.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Tks for all the input does anyone know how much each engine will take tks again

Quote Originally Posted by major hattitude View Post
    Tks for all the input does anyone know how much each engine will take tks again
    My 1271ti's are supposed to take 9 gallons. But let me beat Scott to the punch and say they take the same amount you took out.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Their detroits. You put more in to make up for the leaks
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Trans fluid too? If by chance you have Twin Discs they call for T02 rating, that has been superseded to T04. Chevron offers a T04 fluid in various weights. http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_...l#.Wd07bXplCf1

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    A post from Bobk way back when

Low ash (<1.0%) is preferred for the two stroke engines. Detroit has a PDF on this but I could not find it. Remember, two strokes need straight 40 oil.

This information is a bit old, but may be good. Shell Rotella 40 is at the upper limit of the ash spec. I've used it, but switched to NAPA 75118 (Valvoline) as it is well below the spec and I can easily get it anywhere.
    ASH, %

Exxon XD3____________.80%
    Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
    Castrol Assuron________.80%
    Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
    Delo 100______________.85%
    Texaco Ursa___________.85%
    Shell Rotella__________1.00%
    Valvoline Fleet Guard Plus SAE 40 also meets the 0.8% spec
    Napa is $75 for 5 gal and you get a discount if you order it delivered to a store.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee

Tks for all the input I have decided to change the transmission fluid also I have ZF transmissions
    was wondering if anyone knows what trans fluid to use and how much each one will take tks again
    for great input

Quote Originally Posted by major hattitude View Post
    Tks for all the input I have decided to change the transmission fluid also I have ZF transmissionswas wondering if anyone knows what trans fluid to use and how much each one will take tks againfor great input
    Same oil as motors (40wt). Doesn’t have to be low ash content. If your ZF’s are BW250’s they call for 37 liters.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Their detroits. You put more in to make up for the leaks
    Had the mechanical surveyor on the 55 I am buying tell me to run between the high and low marks on a 12-71. He said thats where they will usually wind up anyway as they will use oil until the halfway mark then quit. He said this was typical for Detroits. Guess I will try it and see.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NTN75118

$68.24 for 5 gallons if you place the order online and pick up at a store.
    1977 Hatteras 58' MY, Hull No. 304, 4-stateroom galley up model with 8V71TIs in Knoxville, Tennessee