Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Oil changes

Oil changes

I am about to change oil on my 1989 12v71 turbos just wondering any input on
    what manufacture and where to get seems like the 40w is getting harder to get
    and if anyone has used Miles lubricant they also have a full synthetic blend any
    opinions on using synthetic any input would be greatly appreciated tks !!

Re: Oil changes

I have a local source for Delo 100 40 wt. It's special order out of a Chevron refinery in TX, so it takes 3 weeks lead time if I don't want to pay any freight. No problem there.
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    I have a local source for Delo 100 40 wt. It's special order out of a Chevron refinery in TX, so it takes 3 weeks lead time if I don't want to pay any freight. No problem there.
    Jeeeeezus! I know I get a great price on the stuff because a friend of mine is the local distributor. But I just looked it up, and West wants $130 for a 5 gallon pale. I mean come on!
    Semper Siesta
    Robert Clarkson
    ASLAN, 1983 55C #343
    Charleston, SC

Infuse Napa and they use valvoline. Never a problem to get in less than 2 days.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Advance auto parts can get shell rotella straight 40 at about $85 a pail. I usually get the Rotella 15w40 from them for the big cats.

Some independent chandleries can get rotella straight 40 at about $80 a pail too. You need to shop around. In Miami, Hopkins carter has it at that price

I shop around a lot for oil. The boat i run with C32s needs 10 pails including an extra one for additional genset changes, so $50 a pail adds up to $1000 a year...
    Last edited by Pascal; 10-09-2017 at 05:25 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Tractor Supply has Rotella straight 40 at 14.99/gal. I don’t recall seeing 5 gal pails.
    Mike Peters, 1985 43MY, Cat 3208T, Blue Bayou; 2011 Key West 246BR, F250, Baby Blue; Punta Gorda FL

A post from Bobk way back when

Low ash (<1.0%) is preferred for the two stroke engines. Detroit has a PDF on this but I could not find it. Remember, two strokes need straight 40 oil.

This information is a bit old, but may be good. Shell Rotella 40 is at the upper limit of the ash spec. I've used it, but switched to NAPA 75118 (Valvoline) as it is well below the spec and I can easily get it anywhere.
    ASH, %

Exxon XD3____________.80%
    Mobil Delvac 1240______.80% (if you can still find it)
    Castrol Assuron________.80%
    Valvoline Fleet Plus_____.80%
    Delo 100______________.85%
    Texaco Ursa___________.85%
    Shell Rotella__________1.00%
    Valvoline Fleet Guard Plus SAE 40 also meets the 0.8% spec
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by racclarkson@gmail.com View Post
    Jeeeeezus! I know I get a great price on the stuff because a friend of mine is the local distributor. But I just looked it up, and West wants $130 for a 5 gallon pale. I mean come on!
    And less you’re a port supply member and bit quite a bit of their goods you will get screwed every time you go into a West Marine. They are way way way way overpriced.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I buy Shell Rotells 40 from Amazon for $94 a 5 ga bucket, shipped. They also have 3 ga boxes. They also have Chevron Delo 400 40 for $102/5 ga shipped.

George
    Florida
    2002 Cabo 47
    MAN mechanical 800/8's

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality"

Ditto on NAPA. Yo can find them almost every where.

Bobk